Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help going from formula to whole milk...bottles to cups.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 10:44 pm
My ds is days away from his 1 yr bday B"H and I have been trying to introduce cups to him. I can't figure out if a sippy cup is easier than a straw cup but I prefer he use a straw cup so I give him that more often than the sippy. But he doesn't use either, he tries for a second and then gives up. He also doesn't seem to like or want milk. I ended up putting milk in a bottle today and he took 2 sips and pushed it away. So I combined it with formula and he drank a small amount.
I feel pretty lost about what to do. I do not want him on bottles past a year (now) and he should not be on formula anymore so do I cut both out cold turkey and he will eventually start drinking milk from a straw cup? And what is eventually....a few days or a few weeks?

de_goldy

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 10:53 pm
IMO no problem to keep giving formula past a year.

The cups with a straw are harder to use, I would try a regular sippy cup. The only thing I would put in a sippy cup is water. Milk is really not necessary and not good for most children.

yaeli83

Post Sat, Jan 15 2011, 10:56 pm
I can't really help with the bottle part, as my dd 1 is still using them, and wont take a sippy yet either, but I can tell you what our peditrician said about whole milk.

she said that you should introduce the milk (in a bottle or cup) by giving it to dd once a day for the first few days, and then increasing it slowly (two bottles a few days later, three a few days after that) and so on, until you have fully transfered to it. she said if dd doesn't like the taste to do half formula and half milk for a while, slowely putting in more milk then formula till dd gets used to the taste and then move to only the milk.

hope that helps.

hatzlacha.

YTYoungMother

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 12:34 am
We never officially switched my dd from bottles to cups, but when she saw my dh and I drinking from cups, she wanted to do it too, so it'll happen sooner or later. She still has bottles at night though. And when she started dumping her cup of juice all over her high chair tray, I quickly reintroduced bottles during mealtime.

About the formula-milk: My pediatrician suggested mixing formula with milk and slowly increasing the milk:
Day 1: Put 1/4 formula and 3/4 milk
Day 2: Put 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk
Day 3: Put 1/4 formula and 3/4 milk
Day 4: All milk! Yay!!

If your son seems sensitive to the taste, you can go slower. Lots of luck!!

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 16 2011, 2:49 am
my daughter is still on formula but we transitioned her from one formula to the other by mixing different proportions for a few days. she doesn't really drink from a sippy cup,she learned to use a regular cup before starting on a bottle. she gets regular drinks in a cup, formula in a bottle, before that she would nurse or drink with a straw

amother

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 9:44 pm
Op here back again.
DS is off formula - he's taking whole milk. But only from a bottle - and warmed up - just like his formula used to be. I was rushed this morning and gave cold milk in a bottle and he didnt like it but warmed up he will down 5-7 oz. a bottle (I gave him 3 today). He basically takes bottles right when he wakes up, after the afternoon nap, and before bed.
He does not hold his own bottles, he prob could but I think he likes to be fed as its baby-ing him and he just sits back and relaxes.

I REALLY want to get him on cups. I have no idea how to do it. He has a routine and today when I was late with his morning bottle, or tried to just give a cup of milk in the afternoon, he screamed till he got the bottle.

Bliss

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:12 pm
If you want to get somewhere you gotta be determined. I think a one year old is too young for a cup. A sippy cup might be a better idea but that's also hard when they come from a bottle. Try to introduce it at other times in the day, not davka when he's used to getting his bottle, it might help.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:16 pm
Ok that is a good idea. I will keep him on his 3 bottles when he is used to them but other times fill a cup with water and offer it - I cant figure out if I should do sippy or straw.
Anyway, if you think 1 is too young for a cup....when do you introduce cups? 1.5 yrs?

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Op here back again.
DS is off formula - he's taking whole milk. But only from a bottle - and warmed up - just like his formula used to be. I was rushed this morning and gave cold milk in a bottle and he didnt like it but warmed up he will down 5-7 oz. a bottle (I gave him 3 today). He basically takes bottles right when he wakes up, after the afternoon nap, and before bed.
He does not hold his own bottles, he prob could but I think he likes to be fed as its baby-ing him and he just sits back and relaxes.

I REALLY want to get him on cups. I have no idea how to do it. He has a routine and today when I was late with his morning bottle, or tried to just give a cup of milk in the afternoon, he screamed till he got the bottle.

my daughter didn't hold her own bottle till about 16 months at least. I stopped nursing her at 10 months but then had to hold her and the bottle in a nursing position she should drink it. she is still using bottles only because its a lot easier to measure how much she drank and she does drink more when its in a bottle.

Bliss

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:35 pm
I can't remember exactly when I introduced my kids to a cup, definitely at an early age but probably not at 1 yr. I let them have their bottle before going to sleep and before nap time until around the time I train them, other times it was a sippy and then a cup.

bnm

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 10:40 pm
I think I mentioned it, my daughter was drinking other liquids from cups long before she was drinking formula from a bottle. its a skill, however the morning/before nap 'cup of coffee' for them they prefer in bottles, more comforting.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 4:42 pm
OP here
VERY frustrated with this whole process. I had made progress and eliminated all formula. DS was taking milk - in bottles - 3 times a day and not having much luck with any of the cups I tried. But now on top of refusing cups, he's refusing the milk from the bottles. He's literally not had a drink in 2 days!!!! His diapers are not so wet today. I cannot get him to take anything. I tried apple juice and chocolate milk and water aside from regular milk and he's not interested. I do not know what to do now that he doesnt even want his bottles anymore

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
OP here
VERY frustrated with this whole process. I had made progress and eliminated all formula. DS was taking milk - in bottles - 3 times a day and not having much luck with any of the cups I tried. But now on top of refusing cups, he's refusing the milk from the bottles. He's literally not had a drink in 2 days!!!! His diapers are not so wet today. I cannot get him to take anything. I tried apple juice and chocolate milk and water aside from regular milk and he's not interested. I do not know what to do now that he doesnt even want his bottles anymore

maybe he isn't feeling well?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics