Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does any1 know of these meds for croup?

im here!

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:45 am
I got pulmicort & xopenex a while ago for ds to put into nebulizer. Was told 1 is for croup & 1 is for wheezing. I don't remember which med is for what cause.

Does anyone here know?

micki

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:50 am
croup is viral.
there is no cure.
however when your child is gasping for air with a 60% pulse ox, then they (in the hospital) give a steroid to open up the airways.
then thye tell you to keep him on a steroid (in my case orapred) just to make sure it stays open.

whichever is the steroid is the one to use.
there is no wheezing with croup, no need to open the lungs, croup only affects the airway.

like albuterol is useless against croup sicne it opens the lungs.
hatzlocha.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:07 am
Your son probably has asthmatic croup which is treated with these medicines. Xopenex is for wheezing-provides immediate relief for the symptoms. Pulmicort is, as micki said, to help keep his airways open and is really important to make sure he gets twice a day (or whatever your dr told you). If your son has viral croup, Xopenex will not work but you can ask your dr about using saline in the nebulizer to help relieve symptoms.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:36 am
Actually, there can be bad wheezing with croup, and it's not asthma related. The best treatment is usually to take the kid out in the cold fresh air. I open a window and hold them near it. In extreme cases, I've heard of using Xopenex. I don't know what Pulmicort is.

farm

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 9:58 am
Quote:
I don't know what Pulmicort is

inhaled corticosteroid

bnm

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:21 pm
I only heard of them used for asthma... wouldn't know about croup. be careful about the combo, certain asthma meds combination can cause hallucinations in some people (small percentage)

geshmak

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:24 pm
We use predisone (prednisilone) for croup. I've never used Xoponex for croup. Hope your child feels better.

imokay

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 2:05 pm
yup- u need the steroid for croup- usually prednislone/ oripred/ dexthamesasone or similar prescribed.... it's liquid form
pulmicort is also a steroid but inhaled.
the xoponex is def for wheezing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics