Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
High school play

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:35 pm
If your dd is performing in a high school play, do you ask relatives and grandparents if they want to come? Things to consider: I know it's hard to get out of the house, more so with larger families who would have more "things" to go to, so maybe it's wrong because they'll feel obligated to go. But on the other hand, I think it enhances the experience by sharing it with people close to us, and gives dd chizuk, to have them watch. Not to mention, the school really wants them to sell tickets (which start at $10).

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:38 pm
yes definitely. I think I'll be going to highschool play forever...

in my family we bring tons of nosh and all sit and shmooze - it's actually a night out... (I don't really care for the play)

ysydmom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:49 pm
For sure they should go. It's the one chance that each high school kid gets to shine in an area that is off limits in public, singing, dancing, drama there is only a small venue for it in the Jewish world so why not give them full support.

You are in essence telling these high school girls that their talents mean something to you that you support the talented girls.

Have fun!

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:58 pm
Absolutely! They can share the nachas and share the pain! My DDs' "production" last year ran 3 hours and 43 minutes with one ten-minute intermission. By the end, we were so exhausted, we felt like we needed designated drivers!

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:02 pm
Invite them but say they are not obligated to come.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:05 pm
Fox wrote:
Absolutely! They can share the nachas and share the pain! My DDs' "production" last year ran 3 hours and 43 minutes with one ten-minute intermission. By the end, we were so exhausted, we felt like we needed designated drivers!

Hilarious, and so true! We have already started our good-natured "kvetching" about my sisters' upcoming performance. LOL

Depressed

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:50 pm
Disclaimer: I dont have daughters, so take it with a grain of salt.

Where I live EVERYTHING is for the bochurim and yungerleit. Women are ignored and disregarded wherever possible. So, the play, is one of the only things that tells these girls someone cares about you. So, I think everyone, especially their relatives should try and make every effort possible to support the play...

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:52 pm
When I was in high-school my married sisters came in for my play. It meant so much to me!

If your relatives live in town, for sure invite them (in a non-obligatory manner).

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:57 pm
Depressed wrote:

Where I live EVERYTHING is for the bochurim and yungerleit. Women are ignored and disregarded wherever possible. So, the play, is one of the only things that tells these girls someone cares about you. So, I think everyone, especially their relatives should try and make every effort possible to support the play...

I think you are the only person in lkwd who feels that way. Maybe you should live in another town so you won't feel you have to falsly malign this lovely city at every opportunity. It's getting a little overdone already.
The females I know there do not feel like they are ignored and disregarded.

In any case, to OP, just say 'you're invited but don't feel pressured to come'. I know that when I was in highschool I really couldn't care less if my grandmother, aunts, etc came. But my mother said I have to invite them. I refused. I knew my productions were not the most exciting things around. And it's not like I was lead soloist or anything outstounding.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:01 pm
TOTALLY OT BUT....

....Actually my DH jokes that in Lakewood things are the opposite of what you say, Depressed. Whenever I go to a ladies event, it's absolutely stunning and luxurious, with the decor to pop your eyes out and the food being absolutely delectable....a veritable night on the town.

...the men, at their events, get to hear a speech, bagels and spreads if they are lucky, nothing like what I describe when I get home....

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Depressed wrote:

I think you are the only person in lkwd who feels that way. Maybe you should live in another town so you won't feel you have to falsly malign this lovely city at every opportunity. It's getting a little overdone already.

In any case, to OP, just say 'you're invited but don't feel pressured to come'. I know that when I was in highschool I really couldn't care less if my grandmother, aunts, etc came. But my mother said I have to invite them. I refused. I knew my productions were not the most exciting things around. And it's not like I was lead soloist or anything outstounding.
depressed - why are you so negative? do you really feel like everything in the town you live in revolves around men? I wonder why you feel that way. (I grew up in lakewood and I never felt that way - my friends and siblings don't either)please elaborate as to why you feel this way.

suomynona

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:10 pm
I enjoy high school plays.
I've hardly been to any since I got married and moved to Israel. I miss them.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 1:46 pm
HI, OP here. The play already happened. The reason I was asking is because dd told all the relatives, but only one 9 year old cousin wanted to come. My dd is not Miss Popular, but sings well, so I was impressed when the school pushed her to do a duet, as well as was given a cute "extra" part in the drama. But I still felt a little down about not being able to share this moment with others. And then I'd be upset at my self for being so petty. I was thinking that in the future I just won't invite anyone, but I see from your replies that maybe I should rethink that. Thanks for all your responses!

Oh, and I also sometimes think the plays are mediocre, but this play - they really did a great job, it was really entertaining.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 3:24 pm
My DD's were in the video for one of the local high school plays. They had some kids' parts and it was fun for them to "perform". Unfortunately they were sold out of tickets so I didn't get to see them!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 4:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My DD's were in the video for one of the local high school plays. They had some kids' parts and it was fun for them to "perform". Unfortunately they were sold out of tickets so I didn't get to see them!

Maybe you can buy the video, I think I know which school you mean and I heard they have been making vidoes of their plays. I'm sure your girls will enjoy seeing themselves.

Depressed

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
Depressed wrote:

Yeah I know Lakewood, is a perfect idyllic place, Anyone who says otherwise is a meshigina and a malcontent.. Ive heard it many times before.

4Sisters

Post Sun, Jan 30 2011, 7:08 am
If possible, offer to buy tickets for your family members. My SIL did this, and it really made it easier for me to convince myself to get out of the house w. my 4 dd's and shlep 30 mins to see the play....

Now my dd's play is coming up next week and I have also offered to buy the tickets for family members (oy--they're $18, though!!!! I think my niece's play was $5!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children