Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Please respond-- yarmulka sizes

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:11 pm
I run a small yarmulka business. I am frequently asked for "a yarmulka that will fit a 7 yr old" or some such. so I wanted to get statistics on what size yarmulka boys of various ages wear. so if you could all help me out:

a) how old are your sons?

b) what size yarmulka do they wear?

I intend to make myself a chart based on your responses. thanks so much!

obagys

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:13 pm
My son is 7 but has a large head so he wears a 5

campmommy

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:16 pm
this is extremely individual as some wear bigger, some smaller, and every type of yarmulka fits differently. This is the one thing I will never buy without my sons being there. That being said, my9 and 10 yr olds wear a 5, my 8 year old wears a 4. These are the 4 part, no ribbon type.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:22 pm
thanks, folks. I'm looking for average sizes, so I need the data. I need to know what a larger-headed boy would need as well. so all this info is very useful.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 4:43 pm
my ds is 4 and he has a large head. he wears a 5, too. But I would think it also depends how big you like the yarmulke on your head. some like it bigger, some like it smaller.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 5:05 pm
My 7 yr old has a small head and wears size 4.
My 5 yr old has a big head and wears size 4.
My 4 yr old has a big head and wears size 4.
My 2 yr old has a big head and should be size 3.

But sizes run differently and whenever I don't bring the child to the store to try on the yarmulke, I regret it later.

zigi

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 5:29 pm
my almost 7 year old and 3 year old share yalmulkes they wear 4-5

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 7:46 pm
I'm also in the yarmulka business and I have 2 things to tell you. First of all, all yarmulka companies do their own sizing so what a size 1 is in one brand is not necessarily a size 1 in a diff brand. I dont know what brands you have, but Keter is a size smaller than Hoffmans ( a keter 5 is equivalent to a hoffmans 4)

Secondly, it is impossible to size boys by age. I once had a guy come over to look at yarmulkas; he was asking to see sizes 2 and 3. I assumed it was for a kid until he tried it on his own head and took the 2 as that was what he usually wears; pretty extreme, but still. My 4 year old bil has been wearing a size 6 since he got his haircut - HUGE head.

What I would suggest is to somehow figure out a way to measure the circumference of the yarmulkas and then tell people to put a tape measure around their kids old yarmulka to compare.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 8:36 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
I'm also in the yarmulka business and I have 2 things to tell you. First of all, all yarmulka companies do their own sizing so what a size 1 is in one brand is not necessarily a size 1 in a diff brand. I dont know what brands you have, but Keter is a size smaller than Hoffmans ( a keter 5 is equivalent to a hoffmans 4)

Secondly, it is impossible to size boys by age. I once had a guy come over to look at yarmulkas; he was asking to see sizes 2 and 3. I assumed it was for a kid until he tried it on his own head and took the 2 as that was what he usually wears; pretty extreme, but still. My 4 year old bil has been wearing a size 6 since he got his haircut - HUGE head.

What I would suggest is to somehow figure out a way to measure the circumference of the yarmulkas and then tell people to put a tape measure around their kids old yarmulka to compare.

thanks. we deal with keter. circumference is a good idea, but I think the diameter is more important. I just keep getting requests for "a yarmulka for a five-year-old." it's quite frustrating. hmmm...

goforit

Post Mon, Jan 31 2011, 9:05 pm
you might be better off measuring the head and match the size. so how many inchs is your sons head and what size does he wear?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics