Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Leben

amother

Post Tue, Feb 01 2011, 2:45 pm
is it okay if I give my 1 year old leben for breakfast.. seems to be the only yogurt type thing he likes

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 12:05 pm
if he's not allergic to it, why not ?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 12:25 pm
It's really not as healthy as yogurt, but I do allow my dd to eat it for breakfast.

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 12:28 pm
When I took my birthing classes, the instructor told us that the calcium in leben gets better absorbed than the calcium in yogurt. So, even though there is no probiotics/acidophilus in the leben, it is a very good source of calcium!

mommalah

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:
is it okay if I give my 1 year old leben for breakfast.. seems to be the only yogurt type thing he likes

I don't think so! It's got a ton of sugar and probably not the best idea to get a child to used to eating processed, sugary, and unhealthy stuff like that. There is at least 4-5 teaspoons of sugar in it. You might want to try plain whole milk yogurt and add some honey or a fruit puree. If he drinks regular milk, he might not need the yogurt at all. It's also good to remember that oftentimes, a child that young needs to offered something (in your example, healthier and less sugarfull yogurt) many times before a parent can really say the child doesn't like it.

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:14 pm
mommalah wrote:
amother wrote:

I don't think so! It's got a ton of sugar and probably not the best idea to get a child to used to eating processed, sugary, and unhealthy stuff like that. There is at least 4-5 teaspoons of sugar in it. You might want to try plain whole milk yogurt and add some honey or a fruit puree. If he drinks regular milk, he might not need the yogurt at all. It's also good to remember that oftentimes, a child that young needs to offered something (in your example, healthier and less sugarfull yogurt) many times before a parent can really say the child doesn't like it.

there's added sugar in plain leben??? doesn't taste like it... never knew that...

mommalah

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:16 pm
I assumed she was talking about the sugary ones. Because if it doesn't have sugar, what could be the problem?

Basimcha

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:18 pm
I think a leben is more for a snack than breakfast...is your DC satisfied after the leben?

Basimcha

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:19 pm
3mitzvos wrote:
When I took my birthing classes, the instructor told us that the calcium in leben gets better absorbed than the calcium in yogurt. So, even though there is no probiotics/acidophilus in the leben, it is a very good source of calcium!

Very interesting to hear.

mommyla

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:37 pm
Are we talking about Israeli leben or American leben? Biiiiiig difference.

3mitzvos

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 2:38 pm
oh... I'm talking about Israeli
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics