Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Cooking/Baking in a non-kosher kitchen...

MrsDash

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:30 am
We haven't made our kitchen 100% kosher yet. If I make something for the holiday, does it not count because it's not made in a 100% kosher environment? By "count" meaning, does it still attain any holiday holiness? We are slowly becoming religious, and we haven't done our kitchen as of yet.

Should I even be making any holiday meals, or is it the "thought" that counts? I want my daughter to grow up learning more Jewish traditions, instead of knowing what x-mas is more than chanukah. I like baking challah with her, and making a cholent from time to time, while teaching her what it's about.

Is this wrong? Should I be going about a different way?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 11:34 am
You can bake things double wrapped in the oven.

Are you cooking kosher foods without a kosher kitchen? Or is your kitchen still partially treif?

JC

Post Wed, Sep 29 2010, 3:11 pm
I am not sure of exactly what you mean. You seem like you are on the road to becoming more religious so you are taking on more rules slowly, right? But your not talking about cooking for guests who do keep kosher at a higher level, right? This is only about your family (this is what I read into your post so correct me if I am wrong)

Ive never heard of an inyan of having kosher food only for the holidays, I wouldnt condone making treif for YT but I dont think that food for the holiday is specifically more holy than regular weekday food. So making a festive meal even if you were mamash not kosher at all but you made hamotzi on challa and had kiddush and a family meal is still better than not having a seudah at all just bec your kitchen is not fully kosher.

Some simple things to do if you want to raise your level right now without haveing gone through the whole process of turning everything over is to kasher your oven. If you have a self clean oven then you just need to run it through a clean cycle so its a simple thing. If you dont then I have heard a leniency of cleaning very well with easyoff and running on high for a few hours - I dont remember the details of how long, but I am sure another Imamother can look it up for you if you need. You can use disposable aluminum pans to bake and roast foods. Use disposables if you like, but I would NOT not cook at all and ignore the meals - the festivity of the holiday is VERY important for the chinuch of your children!

Babka

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 11:15 pm
There are small things you can do to have some foods be "totally" kosher even if you have not yet kashered your kitchen.

You can buy one cutting board and a new knife--keep it pareve and use it to cut all of your fresh fruits and vegetables. Wash it with it's own designated sponge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics