Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ella for a girl
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:53 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I know 2 4 yo Ella's. One is named Esther Leah, and they call her Ella. The other is my Rav's daughter whose greatgrandmother was named Ella in Europe. And the Yichus in that family on both sides, say that it is a Jewish name.

I have a 4 year old Ella also and I'm neither of the people you mentioned. My daughter is Daniella in hebrew and Ella on her birth certificate and we call her Ella. Her teachers in school were uncomfortable spelling Ella in hebrew with an alef so they taught her to write Daniella instead.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
amother wrote:
We wanted to call our daughter Ella and asked our Rav about it - he said to not call her Ella as a first name, but rather to use it as a nickname or as a second name because it is the feminine form of G-d, so basically G-ddess and he said that it would be better to not use it. We named her with a name that has "ella" in it and call her Ella. All that being said I know lots of girls whose proper names are Ella - everyone has different thoughts on it I guess. My friend wanted to call her son the same name as my son's name - her Rav told her it was better not to use the name where our Rav said it was totally fine.

Ella is a yiddish name is spelled with an ayin, hashems name is with an alef, not the same at all.

Not true it is not a yiddish name nor is it spelled that way. It is a machlokes on how it is spelled and on my grand parents Kesubah it is Alef Lamed Hey.

Iv'e always seen it with an Ayin. Oh well, live and learn. Very Happy

I'll add that since I read this thread, I've been singing "ella shbechol dor v'dor...." (Can you tell whats on my mind lately? Twisted Evil )

amother

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:02 pm
Not commenting on Ella, but I knew someone who was Esther Malka and they called her Emma. I think it's a good compromise if you love a name that isn't necessarily Hebrew on its own.

Again, not commenting on Ella, I'm not sure if it is Hebrew, although since it became popular in secular circles, many frum jews also use it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:07 pm
For info, Emma is a very fine Sefardic name Smile

robynm

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:12 pm
I think its a beautiful name. do what u as parents want!

Frum

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 4:37 pm
Our daughter's second name is Ella. We asked our rov. He said thst the Yiddish version is written ayin lamed alef, and the Hebrew version alef lamed hey. He wasn't concerned about the goddess or shem Hashem issue, since an ela is (as isramom pointed out) the name of a tree, and the posuk that mentions it is in fact a bracha for the Jewish people. It appears in different places in Tensch, there is also an emek ha'ela.

In the end we chose the hebrew spelling with alef lamed hey, but since we use our daughter's first name it win't be so much of an issue. I must say I really love the name Ella and find it a bit of a shame that it is only her second name :-)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names