Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Healthy diet - Any recipes?

Nechami

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 7:47 am
I would be really grateful if any of you can supply ideas!
My b-I-l is very sick with tumors that don't respond to chemo. he is now following an extremely strict diet and I would love it if you could perhaps suggest any recipes I could make.
His diet is salt-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan.
He is only allowed to eat - vegetables (no potatoes or corn), fruit, flax-seed, quinoa, organic eggs, tofu and goats milk. Herbs and spices are no problem.
What could I make for a Shabbos menu? How could I cook the tofu without all this?
Can you help? He is losing weight fast and I would love to prepare a three course tasty meal!
Thanks!

3mitzvos

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 7:52 am
My cousin is really into healthy eating. She's a vegan and only eats gluten-free. She has a blog with a bunch of recipes and links to other blogs for gluten-free eating. PM me if you want the link. Very Happy

rosehill

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 8:11 am
www.vegandad.blogspot.com

His recipes are beautiful, I have made lots of them.
Is he allowed to eat rice? There are wonderful ways to combine beans and vegetables and rice to make some really yummy meals.

Nechami

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:08 am
Thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately most vegan recipes contain wheat and salt which are strictly off limits.
Also all grains, rice, corn, etc are off limits - only quinoa.
I would love to make tofu meatballs for him but what would I use to bring out the tatse instead of salt?
Also could I use flaxseed to make a cake? What would I use instead of sugar? Honey and syrups are also out!
Waiting for help!
Thanks!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:28 am
I would try a hearty vegetable soup.
A fruit salad for appetizer, with lots of different types of fruits.
A vegetable kugel (zuchinni? broccoli?) with eggs and spices.
Maybe a salad nicoise (sp?). With sliced eggs, but no tuna? Or with egg salad instead?
Maybe baked apples for dessert, with cinnamin?
The main dish is tough though. Hm. I don't really know how to season tofu except with soy sauce. I hope someone else can help there.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 10:28 am
Is there a name for this diet? Maybe you can google it for ideas?

rosehill

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 11:05 am
You can stir fry some onions, garlic and mushrooms in a heavy pot, add diced zuccini and eggplant (with the skin on, supposed to be very healthy), add a can of tomato sauce, or if he's not allowed that, puree some fresh tomatoes. Add a little water, and leave with the lid on over a low flame until everything cooks and the flavours meld together. Add whatever spices you like, I like cilantro.

In a separate pot, boil up some water, and cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package. I guess just omit the salt. At the end, serve the vegetables over the quinoa. Yum.

gumby

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 11:13 am
Try to make the quinoa into a risotto, you can add in vegetables like broccoli and this is a great main course. Also if likes sweets you can make rice pudding with quinoa and you can add raisins, craisins or fresh fruit to sweeten it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals