Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real Food MM - What would you include?
Previous  1  2  3

mosma

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 6:18 am
sarahd wrote:
sky wrote:
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

My question is what to give our rov. I'm not sure if he will eat my homemade stuff and I can't ask the rebetzin, since we're friends and she would feel funny saying no. OT1H, they surely don't need more nash or wine, OTOH I want it to look nice since as I say we're pretty friendly.

I have also been wondering what to give our rav. Especially bc I spend more on that MM, I would like it to be something they actually appreciate!

I find out what bottle of wine they like and give that. I figure its something they can use on shabbos or Purim.

So the rebbetzin told me last year they got over 100 bottles of wine. We're not talking Concord or Malaga wine either, for the most part.

They get such elaborate stuff that they don't need my fish platter (they have five others) or my fruit and vegetable platter either (they can open their own greengrocery.)

I have considered all this stuff and end up at square one each time. Argh.

I'd love 100 bottles of good wine. it's not like it spoils. and it's expensive. that's kiddush for over a year!
how about a nice box of chocolates and a wine and just wrap it pretty? or buy them a premade one that looks really nice? it's only one.

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:45 am
You want two years' worth of kiddush wine every year?

Maybe I'll go for premade.

de_goldy

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 9:44 am
Last year I made mini borekas - brocooli, potato and mushroom. It went over really well with everyone and is super easy to make.

Sarahd - how about a nice gift for the rav instead of a food item? or a gift with a small food item incorporated so it can officially be shalach manos?

mamaleh

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 10:38 am
sunny90 wrote:
This year I think I'm doing a breakfasty kind of thing--so I'm baking (onion) rolls and giving little jars of honey and jam and those little wedges of cheese. I think I'll add in the instant packs of coffee and maybe a cinnamon roll in each one if I have time. Does that sound good or is there something I should add/not put in?

Sounds yum except I don't know about onion rolls with honey or jam- to me they just don't go together. Maybe plain rolls, or whole wheat, etc. Or put in the onion roll & cheese and add a pat of butter or some cream cheese or other type of spread instead.

sunny90

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 10:52 am
mamaleh wrote:
sunny90 wrote:
This year I think I'm doing a breakfasty kind of thing--so I'm baking (onion) rolls and giving little jars of honey and jam and those little wedges of cheese. I think I'll add in the instant packs of coffee and maybe a cinnamon roll in each one if I have time. Does that sound good or is there something I should add/not put in?

Sounds yum except I don't know about onion rolls with honey or jam- to me they just don't go together. Maybe plain rolls, or whole wheat, etc. Or put in the onion roll & cheese and add a pat of butter or some cream cheese or other type of spread instead.

Yeah I was thinking that...so maybe will either make plain rolls or put CC in small containers and give that along with those mini butters. Depending on how big they are and how much time I have, maybe one of each roll and then it's like a meal for 2. Thanks!

adina

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 11:27 am
sarahd wrote:
sky wrote:
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

My question is what to give our rov. I'm not sure if he will eat my homemade stuff and I can't ask the rebetzin, since we're friends and she would feel funny saying no. OT1H, they surely don't need more nash or wine, OTOH I want it to look nice since as I say we're pretty friendly.

I have also been wondering what to give our rav. Especially bc I spend more on that MM, I would like it to be something they actually appreciate!

I find out what bottle of wine they like and give that. I figure its something they can use on shabbos or Purim.

So the rebbetzin told me last year they got over 100 bottles of wine. We're not talking Concord or Malaga wine either, for the most part.

They get such elaborate stuff that they don't need my fish platter (they have five others) or my fruit and vegetable platter either (they can open their own greengrocery.)

Thats why we just give a check to our Rav.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 2:23 pm
adina wrote:
sarahd wrote:
sky wrote:
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Or a donation to their favorite Tzedaka. I think either of these should be accompanied by at least a basic MM (even small grape juice & danish or candy bar, wrapped nicely) so that it is really mm.

Henya

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 2:42 pm
I give a simple mm to our Rov, but include cash. I figure too much food can go to waste, money doesn`t!

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 2:47 pm
I once got a very classy mm in my opinion, in a round silver foil pan a sweet lokshen kugel, decorated with a pinapple slice (from the can) and a cherry in the center with a leaf to the side, pretty, delicious with 2 brochos. and covered with the clear covers.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:40 pm
mamaleh wrote:
adina wrote:
sarahd wrote:
sky wrote:
ttbtbm wrote:
sarahd wrote:

Or a donation to their favorite Tzedaka. I think either of these should be accompanied by at least a basic MM (even small grape juice & danish or candy bar, wrapped nicely) so that it is really mm.

I know that our rav gets enough wine and grape juice to last until the following year. And because he has a large family and and lots of married children they drink lots of wine over Pesach and Succos its a huge money saver. He is able to return the bottles whose hechsher he does not drink to the local wine store and they let him exchange it.

We include a check as well with the bottle of wine. We figure we use enough of his time, its the least we can do.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 4:15 pm
Our favorite thing to get in MM is also wine. It's perfect.

golden judgement

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 5:29 pm
This year I'll be making egg rolls (yum) and sending them with bottled iced tea for a nice and easy chinese theme. Any ideas for additional chinese foods?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 5:51 pm
The lukshen kugel thing: to reiterate -- YOU DO NOT NEED 2 BRACHOS. YOU NEED 2 MINIM.
They can be 2 separate foods of the SAME bracha, and it's halachically valid.
I'm not sure what you got was, though. A garnish of a pineapple slice and a cherry I don't consider "choshuv". You can't give a jelly bean and peanut and be mekayem.
Yet, you only need 1 MM to be mekayem the mitzvah, so chances are they gave something else to a different recipient and it was valid.
This may have been valid, I don't know, but I wouldn't consider it a food item on its own.

Tova

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 6:00 pm
Yeah, was thinking that too. The garnish on the kugel is tafel to the kugel and not a seperate min.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 7:13 pm
golden judgement wrote:
This year I'll be making egg rolls (yum) and sending them with bottled iced tea for a nice and easy chinese theme. Any ideas for additional chinese foods?

fortune cookies?

efrat

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 1:14 pm
The best MM I recieved was a lunch dish, including a roll, 2 spreads and cut veg. it was a lifesaver on a hectic day.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 1:36 pm
We start out seuda pretty early, like at 3:30, so breakfast or brunch would be better than lunch. I'd prefer to receive milchigs. Something for the seuda would be nice, but only if it can feed all our family and guests. Or else a dessert that can supplement whatever we already have.

I like my kids to eat something nutritious in the morning after megilla before all the noshing begins. Or at least I like to, myself.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 6:46 pm
so glad I read thru this topic!!
I think I've got it!
to the person who mentioned the chumus w/ things to dip, I think I'll do that, but with homemade babaganush (time-permitting) instead. with baby carrots. bread sticks. and maybe a drink. healthy and appetizing!!
purim sameach!!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics