Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Overworked and underpaid?

Do you feel like you are overworked and underpaid?
Yes  
 75%  [ 25 ]
No  
 24%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 33

suomynona

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:49 am
Do you feel taken advantage of? Do you feel like you are expected to make impossible deadlines? Do you feel like your accomplishments go unacknowledged and unappreciated? Are you "stuck" at your current job?

(Just venting)

This doesn't refer to your job as Mommy/homemaker.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:57 am
Yes indeed. Sad Esp working here in Israel... the Salary standards here are much lower!
(but happy to be here nonetheless! bH... Very Happy)
What do you do suomynona?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 2:01 am
For the same work, women are paid much less than men and will be promoted much slowlier and won't reach the job they would have managed to reach as a guy... It's a shame. Exploding anger

binah918

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 2:25 am
Yes, I also feel this here in Israel...though I wouldn't move for a second! I work as a secretary and work almost 50 hours a week, Sunday through Friday, and get paid 22 NIS (about $5) /hr. But this is just a temp job. I'm only working here a few months to save up money to buy plane tix to visit my family in the States this Tishrei. This fall I'll look for a real job...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 3:54 am
binah918 wrote:
Yes, I also feel this here in Israel

It's everywhere in the world. Women don't work less though. You know what, in fact it is well known that they are more serious and motivated. In many countries they favour employing women because they know they won't be missing, or drunk, or fight with other workers, because it's not their nature and they have their children to raise. They still underpay them of course Exploding anger

suomynona

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 4:11 am
Guess I should be thankful that I have a job here at all. It's just that I'm working towards an impossible deadline right now. I am also going to the US soon for a visit, but since I work for a US company, instead of spending time with my family, I will be spending 40 hours a week trying to make this deadline. I just hope I won't have to work overtime Sad

ny21

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 6:47 am
at my kids Camp
lubavitch
the girls were paid less than the boys!
when they found that out they quit! Wink

suomynona

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 1:57 am
Argh. Just found out that my boss gave me the impression I was getting a bigger yearly raise than I actually am. I am fuming. I feel like a doormat right now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 4:18 am
ah, when I saw your poll, I thought you meant in general, but I am not working now, but rather looking for work, so I guess I cant really vote.

I was just talking about being overworked in life as a whole.

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Jul 30 2006, 2:14 pm
I feel underworked and underpaid. Hmm, maybe they are conected Sad

carrot

Post Sun, Jul 30 2006, 2:16 pm
RivkaBatya, that is funny! LOL

(But didn't you just say in another thread that you work for Magen David Edom?)

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jul 30 2006, 2:54 pm
Well, I'm not really overworked (I get some commisions so I can't really complain). but our american counterparts definitely make more $$$ then us for doing the same thing (or less, I should say, since as a rule they are less competant). On the other hand, our Mexican counterparts make about half of what I'm making.
the problem I find in israel is that salaries are low and cost of living isn't that much less then in america.

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 2:30 am
Quote:
But didn't you just say in another thread that you work for Magen David Adom

Yes, but that pays beans. (good thing I like beans Wink ) I also have a home based company.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 9:38 am
This is why I don't understand so many people's objection to becoming a professional. People who have a real marketable skill (not a secretary) are generally treated much better at their job, they don't have to feel used or abused and if they are unhappy they can usually leave to find something in a different company/place that is more suitable.

I will never understand why women are discouraged from goign to college so that they can work50 hours a week on minimum wage which all goes to their childcare. I don't get it.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 9:12 am
[quote="MosheDovid'sMom"] but our american counterparts definitely make more $$$ then us for doing the same thing (or less, I should say, since as a rule they are less competant). [quote]

Is what you wrote what you wanted to convey?[/quote]

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 6:32 pm
[quote="amother"]
MosheDovid'sMom wrote:
but our american counterparts definitely make more $$$ then us for doing the same thing (or less, I should say, since as a rule they are less competant).
Quote:

Is what you wrote what you wanted to convey?

Oh yeah, sorry, I sound racist or s/t. but its true. for my job you don't even need a hs diploma and in some of the workers this shows. Also, maybe bec we care about our jobs more, but we very often make the extra effort for the customer that the non-jewish workers.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 6:34 pm
I need to retract what I wrote earlier. I am definitely overworked and getting quiet stressed out from the workload. Hopefully we'll get more workers and I mite be able to breathe more easily at work. until then I'm getting pretty down about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics