Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Anyone ever read "Bridges of Madison County"?

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 5:59 pm
I know I know, it was a story about an extramarital affair and I should've burned it....but it's fiction and I totally loved it, and I need a break from non-fiction books about public policy and international relations. I need to get as far away as possible....I need something just like "Bridges".

Anyone have any recommendations of books I might enjoy that are along similar veins to "Bridges"?....When I say "similar", I mean there needs to be a good plot, character development, mature love (emphasis on mature....ie. not some crazy spring fling trash novel or Harlequin...not so into that), and y'know...something decent.

Depressed

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 6:25 pm
The movie was way better then the book...

You might like Sleepless in Seatle...

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 6:33 pm
You seriously thought the movie was better than the book? Oy...I totally had the opposite reaction. I thought the book was so much better because you could read their love letters and really understand the characters on a deeper level than you could in the movie.

As for sleepless in seattle, I've seen the movie.
I'm not typically interested in books that were written after the movie. I am, however, interested in amazing books that were so good that they got turned into movies!

Thanks for the suggestion!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 7:18 pm
Fannie Flagg's newest book, forgot what it's called.
The Mossy Creek books (best read in order).
I bet you'd like GA McKevett but you've got to read a lot of books to get to the payoff.
I can't say any of these books are like Bridges, haven't read it though heard of it, but they might fit the bill.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 7:25 pm
PinkFridge....Run out and get Bridges. RUN!!!
It is one of my all time favorites. It's such a story...sigh....sigh...sigh...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 8:20 pm
Loved the movie and even got to tour the house where it was filmed (plus I saw covered bridges in Madison County Alabama but that has absolutely no connection LOL).

Have you read Prince of Tides? They remind me of similar things.

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:05 pm
here are some of my favorite authors-
Maeve Binchy
Jodi Picoult
Pat Conroy (wrote The Price of Tides)
Luanne Rice
I forget who wrote it, but The Memory Keepers Daughter was great
I can try to think of more - I'm a big reader Smile

cookiemilk

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 9:58 pm
Capitalchick wrote:
I know I know, it was a story about an extramarital affair and I should've burned it....but it's fiction and I totally loved it, and I need a break from non-fiction books about public policy and international relations. I need to get as far away as possible....I need something just like "Bridges".

Anyone have any recommendations of books I might enjoy that are along similar veins to "Bridges"?....When I say "similar", I mean there needs to be a good plot, character development, mature love (emphasis on mature....ie. not some crazy spring fling trash novel or Harlequin...not so into that), and y'know...something decent.

I love the English Patient, not the movie, sillies, the actual book, it was beautiful.

I also enjoy rereading Like Water for Chocolate: beautiful prose

githen03

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 10:30 pm
Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks. It keeps you hooked from the beginning.

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 11:23 pm
For anyone who reads French and who wants a beautiful, light love story without too much 'hot 'n heavy' stuff, I highly highly recommend Marc Levy's "Et si c'etait vrai". I've read the English and French (original) versions, and the English somehow manages to suck as much as the French one is incredible. Stick to the original in French, or skip it.

Highly recommended!! Very entertaining and light.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 10:01 am
OK, I got our Bridges and I'm trying to wade my way through. I have trouble reading books where you want to bang some heads against the wall. That description of their soulless, passionless marriage...I'm sorry, this isn't my cuppa. I might skim the rest.
When I need to get away I want something resembling a happy ending, I guess. Though we obviously have different tastes, don't discount this recommendation: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I got to the end and after rereading the last few pages umpteen times turned to the beginning and started all over again. And you might like The Prince of Tides, though it's about 79 times longer than Bridges.
Right now, to chill from some stress, I've just (re)read Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs. Though you probably have to be a certain minimum age to get it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room