Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
New jersey - health insurance

yiddeshemama5

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 11:10 pm
I might be losing my job benefits including health coverage.
I'm married, expecting #2, and husband in kollel.
I wouldn't be eligible for Jersey Care (for better or worse!)
I've seen billboards for some other program with a higher income limit and higher cost, though still subsidized, but it's just for kids (comparable to Child Health Plus in NY, from sounds of it).

I'm thinking (assuming this exists) a really high deductible plan that's really cheap since my husband is BH hale and hardy and never goes to docs, but just in case, chas veshalom. Possibly have both of us on 2 separate plans and I get one with better coverage (couple plans from my experience are NOT "cheaper by the dozen", they're exactly 2x amount of single coverage. Or possibly I'd also do a very high deductible plan cuz I'll have had the baby by then so I don't expect (please Hashem!) too many med expenses after that.

Does my hubby being a student help elig and or rates for any programs/plans?
Any organizations like in LKWD or something that could help me out with options?

Any advice?
ARe there other frum websites with forums on this that are frequented by men as well, since I know usually husbands take care of this kinda thing.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 11:21 pm
look into jersey care more I think you can get it with no questions asked about your income if you are pregnant.

brbs

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:25 am
Have u looked into cobra?

yiddeshemama5

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 9:21 pm
cobra - yeah, I did - it's 15,000 a yr for the high deductible plan!!!!!!
Jersey Care if pregnant no income check - wow! ill check that out. When do you get thrown off though (I guess that means when do they start asking and/or when do they ask you to 'fess up about ur income)? Does that mean coverage for just me and unborn? My other baby too? I'm assuming not my husband, but that would still be huge!

EstherHaMalka

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 11:32 pm
Irecently had the same issue! Call Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield. There's a plan called NJ Family Care Advantage. It should suit your needs. hatzlocha!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 14 2011, 9:49 pm
EstherHaMalka wrote:
Irecently had the same issue! Call Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield. There's a plan called NJ Family Care Advantage. It should suit your needs. hatzlocha!

That plan is just for kids. What did you do for yourself/spouse?

EstherHaMalka

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:21 am
I haven't been on in a couple days - sorry for the delayed response. I must've misunderstood. I have insurance through my company through Healthy New York (my company is based in NY). My boss pays 1/2 of my premium, I pay my other 1/2 plus my husband's full premium. It costs over $500 a month and that was cheapest I was able to find. My baby is on the Horizon plan at $144 per month.

Before my boss offered me this plan, I was very confused about NJ insurance for those that earn too much for govt programs, don't get benefits from work, want a good plan, and can't pay too much per month. After looking around, I wasn't able to find a plan for less than $700 per month for me and my husband.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics