Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Cheap homemade Jewish-themed costume for 2 yr old boy?

bliss1

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:01 pm
I'd like to make a Jewish-themed costume for my son - sefer Torah, kohen gadol, Mordechai Hatzaddik, etc. Like the kind you see in Israel. I like the idea of kids dressing up as something that contributes to the Yom Tov atmosphere, or at least doesn't take away from it. After all it's a Yom Tov, not a costume party. This will be his first time dressing up, so I want to start with something Yiddish, before he's old enough to decide that he wants to be a policeman or a lion or whatever.

But I'm not so crafty, and I live out of town so I don't have access to those nice pre-made costumes. Any ideas?? I have a sewing machine and can do basic sewing, if necessary.

cl

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 4:36 pm
For a sefer torah u cud get some velvet-y type material and gold braid and sew it / hot-glue it together in a rectangle-pillow-case shape with a small space left open at the top 2 put his head thru and 2 small gaps at the top of the 2 sides for his arms.
I wud stick the braid to the top and bottom of the rectangle and use glitter puffy paints to do a pattern on the front.
u can make some kind of gold crown for his head.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:12 pm
for that age make sure it is comfortable. I wouldn't do anything like a sefer torah therefore.

mordechai is probably the easiest - make him a simple cloak (purple velvet or silky matierial cut into rectangle with white fur along the bottom) with black trousers and white shirt, tie a sash round his waist. make/buy him a crown. draw a mustache and beard with black eyeliner. he can hold a scroll or mini torah.

he will probably remove the crown but hopefully you will get some pictures.

mama-star

Post Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:14 pm
I don't know if this appeals to you but you can always have silly fun and put him in a dress. I've seen plenty of pre-upsherenish boys dressed as little girls for purim!

cl

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 3:03 pm
yes I did that Smile

torahtots

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 5:04 pm
My DS is 2.5 and I WISH I could dress him as a girl. He'd be beautiful with his golden curls. But DH would kill me.
And anyway, it doesn't fit with out family theme (unless DD would let him be Tinkerbell).

Atali

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 5:06 pm
Last year one of my kids was Har Sinai. The costume was made out of a brown piece of fabric with a hole for the head. I stapled plastic flowers onto the fabric.

mama-star

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 5:52 pm
Atali wrote:
Last year one of my kids was Har Sinai. The costume was made out of a brown piece of fabric with a hole for the head. I stapled plastic flowers onto the fabric.

that is cute! one year I dressed a kid as a hamentash, with yellow posterboard cut into a triangle shape and red posterboard filling, it was really cute. I wrote "borei minei mezonos" on the top in hebrew.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 7:39 pm
My DS will be a tzedaka box--find a cardboard box that's large enough, cut out a hole for his head and two holes on the side for the arms. Cover with brown paper, write Tzedaka in Hebrew in the middle, cut out a slot slightly above that, and tape a few chocolate coins on strings dangling. A subtle reminder about matanot l'eviyonim...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 7:42 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
My DS will be a tzedaka box--find a cardboard box that's large enough, cut out a hole for his head and two holes on the side for the arms. Cover with brown paper, write Tzedaka in Hebrew in the middle, cut out a slot slightly above that, and tape a few chocolate coins on strings dangling. A subtle reminder about matanot l'eviyonim...

cute, but how is he going to sit?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 8:18 pm
The box only covers above waist. Otherwise he's gonna have difficulty going to WC, not just sitting...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Mar 09 2011, 8:20 pm
last year I sewed my kids hamantasch costumes. they were very cute. since they were kinda like jumpers, they moved easily and we had no bathroom issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics