Home

Short People Need Not Apply

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2011, 5:51 pm       Post subject: Short People Need Not Apply
My husband took a course to become a security guard. Basically, it pays $12 an hour to start, then goes up to $25 an hour once he gets his gun license.

There is a catch: A security guard company has to agree to hire him as an armed guard, otherwise he can only make $12 an hour.

I made a couple of phone calls trying to find if he will get the higher-paying job. This is what I was told, "The security guard companies call us and ask for TALL guys."

This is how they get around discrimination: The security guard companies can't legally discriminate, so they only ask for TALL guys, and thus get around this problem.

Are there any other jobs like this?

Barbara

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2011, 7:21 pm       Post subject: Re: Short People Need Not Apply
amother wrote:
My husband took a course to become a security guard. Basically, it pays $12 an hour to start, then goes up to $25 an hour once he gets his gun license.

There is a catch: A security guard company has to agree to hire him as an armed guard, otherwise he can only make $12 an hour.

I made a couple of phone calls trying to find if he will get the higher-paying job. This is what I was told, "The security guard companies call us and ask for TALL guys."

This is how they get around discrimination: The security guard companies can't legally discriminate, so they only ask for TALL guys, and thus get around this problem.

I don't get it.

They don't want your husband, and know he's short? You / they think all Jews are short? (Don't tell Omri Casspi that!)
I can't stand it when you talk that way.
Teeley/Crenshaw

life'sgreat

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2011, 7:37 pm       Post subject: Re: Short People Need Not Apply
amother wrote:

I'm a bit confused about what they're not saying by saying they only want tall guys?

amother

Post Posted: Mon, Mar 14 2011, 7:41 pm       Post subject:
Amother, is it possible to tell us where the job is? My dh is tall, has gun license already, and is open for just such a job. TIA

Marion

Post Posted: Tue, Mar 15 2011, 2:00 am       Post subject:
I know flight attendants need to be a minimum of, I think, 5'5". If you think about it, it makes sense. At 5' I often can't actually reach the overhead bins...
Dvir Aharon: 10 Tammuz 5772

GreenEyes26

Post Posted: Wed, Mar 16 2011, 5:15 pm       Post subject:
I'm not clear why this is "discrimination". If security guard companies want tall, intimidating guys, it's their right to look for that.

cm

Post Posted: Wed, Mar 16 2011, 7:19 pm       Post subject: re: Short People Need Not Apply
I work in a place with armed guards, some tall, some short. There's hope.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1