Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 22 mo. old with lice, and head full of eczema!

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 2:31 pm
So we've been battling "makas kinim" in my home for the past couple of weeks. I was too scared to even check my baby because his head is covered in eczema and cradle's cap (not regular - hard, crusty stuff all over his head) and I couldn't imagine what I would do if he had it. Well - today I finally got the nerve to check - and sure enough, he's infested!!!

Now what??? How can I get rid of the nits? I can't comb his hair, because his scalp is so sensitive, and I can't just pick them (yup, gross, I know) because he won't sit still long enough.

Any advice?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:19 pm
Ask your dr what to do. I think you are in for a rocky road, though.

Marion

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:29 pm
Start with some oil...I'm told olive is best, and if you can find something infused with rosemary even better. "Shampoo" with the oil, and let sit for 20 minutes. You should be able to use a regular comb to scrape off the cradle cap at that point. Reapply the oil, let sit some more. Here you'll have to use a lice comb, but there are some on the market with rounded/balled ends which should be a little gentler on his scalp.

When my kids were that little I'd let them choose a DVD...and they'd sit long enough for me to check them. Now (today, actually) I let them choose a Purim treat (or Shabbat treat, if it's not near Purim!) as a reward AFTERWARDS for sitting nicely. It doesn't stop the complaining but at least they sit still!

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 3:46 pm
Thanks Marion! I'll try the oil.
I tired going through his hair while he was sleeping, but he kept twisting and turning.
It doesn't help that on top of the eczema issue, he's also quite a sensory kid. I can't imagine him letting me comb him even if I put him in front of a DVD. A lollipop might work for a few minutes.

Maybe I should just shave his head. Sad

csfm

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 5:06 pm
I would definitely ask a doctor what to do about the eczema, now that it's probably been been made worse by the lice. I would also shave my little boy's head, as this is the quickest and most efficient way to definitely get rid of the lice and cure what must be an awfully itchy scalp. (It's also what my parents did, back in the 1950s, when my sister and her entire Beth Rivkah preschool class had the same problem! I'd probably have just cut her hair very, very short!) After his head is shaven, I would also try the soothing olive/rosemary oil, in case anything nasty that needs to be smothered remains on his scalp. I have also heard of using mayonnaise and sealing it onto the scalp with some plastic wrap or a shower cap. This might be a bit tricky to accomplish, of course, with a child so young. There must be other "natural" cures available on the market, but I'd be sure to double-check with the pharmacist and the paediatrician on a child so young. Best of luck. I'm sure this must be awful for you both.

veganesther

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:03 pm
OLIVE OIL 3-7 hours to suffocate the adults. then comb out the nits then every 10 days repeat. this method is the least expensive, the least toxic and it actually works. my kids get head lice every year and this is my go-to method for killing off the lice. Like my pediatrician says." not to worry, I've never lost a kid to lice."

sneakermom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 8:11 pm
I think with a sensitive child that age....an early upsherin is not a bad idea. You could also put him on a step stool, and fill your sink with toys and water and some bubbly soap. That should keep him very busy while you tend to his head.

Also if you shave his head it might give his scalp a chance to heal from the eczema. You can easily shmear olive oil as an emollient or any other cream that worked in the past. Without the hair in the way, you can shmear and the head can also breathe better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics