Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where can I get BOOKSHELVES?

Ashrei

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 11:38 am
Hi, I'd like to get some nice sturdy bookshelves for our seforim. I was wondering where I could find those very tall formal looking ones with doors on the bottom (for toys). Are they sturdy enough that they don't need to be anchored to the wall? If there isn't a store, maybe you know of someone who custom makes these...? Any leads or advice would be appreciated, I don't know where to start.

Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 11:58 am
I got a nice shelf for a very reasonable price from home decorator's collection outlet.

http://www.homedecorators.com/.....C6utQ

you may have to anchor whatever you get.

I got mine for just over $50. there was some mixup with the manufacturer, they changed the price of that model. sometimes you really luck out with them.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 12:03 pm
Ikea has so many varieties and combos.

You should anchor ANY bookcases to the wall.

Grandmama

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 2:44 pm
Costco has a phenomenal one at less than $100. I know many people that bought them and are very happy.

mommyla

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:47 pm
Staples makes nice, sturdy bookshelves, but very plain. No cabinets on the bottom. I know a few people who have them long-term and are very happy with the way they've held up. They look nice in a room and come in different colors. If you're looking for more of a sforim shrank with cabinets, try the Jewish furniture stores in Brooklyn.

Maya

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:51 pm
life'sgreat wrote:

We just bought Ikea's Expedit for our seforim. The only problem is that the shelves are not adjustable, so taller seforim have to get stored somewhere else.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Apr 03 2011, 8:59 pm
Maya wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

We just bought Ikea's Expedit for our seforim. The only problem is that the shelves are not adjustable, so taller seforim have to get stored somewhere else.

True. I use it for my office (and another unit in the playroom) and for those, they are awesome. But there are other units that have different sizes etc...

Ashrei

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 10:29 am
mommyla wrote:
If you're looking for more of a sforim shrank with cabinets, try the Jewish furniture stores in Brooklyn.

Can anyone recommend a store in Brooklyn with good service? Someone recommended Frankels to me, but their online reviews are so poor...

sky

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 12:42 pm
Most people who buy from Frankel's are probably not reviewing online.
The Staples ones in cherry are nice. But there are no cabinets on the bottom.
With most shelves not built for sefarim you do have to add supports to the shelves or they will sag and eventually break.
(We just did it to a bookcase we have and it wasn't hard. No screwing, just cutting the wood to the right size)

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 12:46 pm
I'm kicking myself for not having gotten my act together when our local Borders went out of business and sold all its sturdy shelves cheap.

But lots of places sell furniture. See what's close to you and take a look. You might want to look at warehouse type places, so that you get a bargain on a quality shelf rather than pressed particle board.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2011, 1:13 pm
Ashrei wrote:
mommyla wrote:
If you're looking for more of a sforim shrank with cabinets, try the Jewish furniture stores in Brooklyn.

Can anyone recommend a store in Brooklyn with good service? Someone recommended Frankels to me, but their online reviews are so poor...
I would still go to Frankels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries