Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long to run self-clean cycle in oven?

chanahlady

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 5:24 pm
When I turn on the self-cleaning oven, it asks me how long I want it to run for -- between 2 and 4 hours. How long should I run it to make it kosher for Pesach? I can't remember what I did last year. It's not very dirty. Would 2 hours be sufficient?

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Apr 10 2011, 6:01 pm
it shud be enough I did today a 2 hr clean cycle it did a good job the oven was practically clean anyway lol. but you say yours is not very dirty so 2 hrsis good BEAWARE IT STINKS WHILE IT CLEANS! Wink

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 8:18 am
Our rov says to run it twice, which is also accomplished with the long cycle.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 8:27 am
chocolate moose wrote:

Family First printed an article this week discussing various appliance blow outs due to overzealous pesach cleaning. One point mentioned was NOT to run the self clean cycle repeatedly. Of course, if you have the option of a long cycle, its presumably fine. If anyone want to run it twice, its probably a good idea to wait a day or so in between. Jmho Very Happy

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 8:32 am
A couple of points:

1) The heat created by the self-clean cycle is great for cleaning the oven but not so great for the computer electronics board inside it, so I would tend to run a shorter cycle to prolong the life of the oven and minimize the chance of needing a very expensive repair.

2) If you have pet birds, open windows and take the birds away from the area. The fumes created by self-cleaning can kill them.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 2:00 pm
Kashering your oven is a heter for Pesach. If it can't be done properly, that is the way the rov says it needs to be done, maybe you should think twice if you want to use something bidieved.

reed

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 3:50 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Family First printed an article this week discussing various appliance blow outs due to overzealous pesach cleaning. One point mentioned was NOT to run the self clean cycle repeatedly. Of course, if you have the option of a long cycle, its presumably fine. If anyone want to run it twice, its probably a good idea to wait a day or so in between. Jmho Very Happy

For that reason, Rabbi Blumenkrantz ZT"L said to run it twice, but NOT ON THE SAME DAY! 4 hours one day, 4 hours another day. (I usually do it the next day.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 12 2011, 7:44 am
That's very nice. I don't know who has that much time to play around with, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen