Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Chametz cake recipes with 1/2 the amt. potato starch bomb?

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 1:20 pm
Has anyone tried baking Chametz cake recipes with 1/2 the amt. potato starch, bec "Joy of Baking" says 2 TBSP flour can be substituted with 1 TBSP potato starch?

2 tablespoons (25 grams) all purpose flour equals 1 tablespoon (15 grams) potato starch or rice starch or flour
http://www.joyofbaking.com/Ing......html

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 2:22 pm
It's not so simple to just substitute.
1 Tbsp potato starch might work as a thickener in a sauce instead of 2 Tbsp flour. (I actually use 1 tsp potato starch instead of 1 Tbsp corn starch as a thickener.)
But it all depends on the recipe. Depends on the consistancy of the batter, etc. It's a gamble. (More likely to work on a dense cake.)

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 6:07 pm
My favorite Chocolate Cake recipe is the Black Magic one. No separating egss. I just put in 3/4 the amount of flour, substituted w potato starch. I had to bake it much longer though (more liquidy). It looks good though. I wonder how its going to taste.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2011, 7:48 pm
Mevater wrote:
My favorite Chocolate Cake recipe is the Black Magic one. No separating egss. I just put in 3/4 the amount of flour, substituted w potato starch. I had to bake it much longer though (more liquidy). It looks good though. I wonder how its going to taste.
Let me know how it comes out.
Shanie5 told me that she makes the Hershey's cake with potato starch, using the same amount potato starch instead of flour.
I plan on trying it.

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 12:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
Mevater wrote:
Shanie5 told me that she makes the Hershey's cake with potato starch, using the same amount potato starch instead of flour.
I plan on trying it.

Heres the recipe I used, I calculated 3/4 (.75) the flour in potato starch. Came out very good (admittedly not as good as the chametz version). We're eating it happily though.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/B......aspx

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2011, 12:32 am
Mevater wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Mevater wrote:
I plan on trying it.

Heres the recipe I used, I calculated 3/4 (.75) the flour in potato starch. Came out very good (admittedly not as good as the chametz version). We're eating it happily though.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/B......aspx
That looks delishes. Thanks so much for letting me know!
I prepared the dry ingredients for 1 recipe that calls for 3/4 of the flour to be substituted for potato starch, and another with an even exchange. Once I add the liquid ingredients and bake them, I will let you know how they turned out as well. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics