Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need help with directions for chocolate sorbet

EMmom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 8:03 pm
I have a recipe that calls for boiling sugar and water than adding cocoa and chocolate and bringing it to a boil. That I am fine with.

Then it says to "pour the mixture into a large bowl of ice water and cool for 10 minutes before freezing". Do I just cool the mixture down in a bowl ice water or do I actually pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl of ice water as the directions are given? If I pour it into a bowl of ice water how much water is it supposed to be???

I have all the ingredients and I have no way of finding out how what the author's intentions are - does any have an idea?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 10:00 pm
Place the saucepan containing the sugar, water, cocoa, and chocolate into a bowl or pan of ice water, to cool it down.

Here's similar recipe with clear instructions
Chocolate Sorbet
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup cocoa
• 4 oz. good quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened and not choc chips)
Prepare a large pan or bowl of ice water (ice cubes and water.) Set aside.
Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the cocoa and the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
Return the saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil again. As soon as bubbles start to appear, remove from heat and set into the prepared pan of ice water.
Cool for 10 minutes. Pour sorbet into an airtight container. Cover and freeze 3 hours.
Remove from freezer and transfer to a mixing bow. Beat the mixture, at a medium-high speed for 1 full minute. Return to container. Cover and place back in freezer for 3 more hours. Repeat the beating 2 more times during these 3 hours. Freeze until ready to serve.
Serve in small scoops in martini glasses.

unexpected

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 11:09 pm
You can actually skip the ice water step. Just freeze until partially frozen, blend, and return to freezer. I know people who blend together with a stiff egg white inorder to give volume and make serving easier. Also, after the seconfd blend, you can freeze directly into cups so that it is easy to serve at the table.
PS, this works great with coffee, too. Just sub the chocolate for instant coffee, but use only 1/2 the amount.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics