Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sequins/glitter coming off my fancy suit jacket - HELP!

amother

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:30 pm
I bought a fancy jacket full of glitter and sequins for my daughter's sheva brachos - to wear with a long silky skirt. It cannot be returned because I got it at a resale shop. It's really nice. Problem is that the glitter keeps coming off and getting over everything in sight - from the other clothes in the closet to the carpeting, to the skirt I was going to wear it with.... Crying
Is there any way to keep the glitter from "shedding" or whatever you want to call it???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lizzie613

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:45 pm
I don't have any experience with this but how about hairspray?

zaq

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 11:48 pm
No. Glitter is glued on and it will come off as the glue ages. Items with glitter are pretty much assumed to be one-shot deals that you will never wear again. If it's only a tiny area you can try the old magic of clear nail polish to seal it, but that won't work if it's all over the place. If you mean sequins, these can be sewn on by hand. Another idea might be to energetically vacuum the jacket in an effort to remove the glitter entirely, or have it dry cleaned. The cleaning solvent will probably dissolve the glue and release the rest of the glitter. However, it may also damage the sequins. Sequinned garments are usually labeled "do not dry clean".

If you were planning to wear the jacket as a Purim costume rather than to a simcha, I'd suggest spraying it with a very heavy coating of hair spray or that fixative artists use to seal pastel sketches. But I have no idea whether or not these will stain the fabric or damage the glitter or other embellishments.

3lish3va

Post Wed, May 04 2011, 4:51 pm
try hand washing it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics