Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Silver caps in young children

amother

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:06 pm
Has anyone had to put silver colored caps on their children's baby teeth? My daughter's dentist just called and said that a filling he did a couple of months ago should best be replaced with a silver cap. She already has one and this is pretty much tipping my sanity scale over the edge. The thought of her having to go for years (She's 5.5 now) with these caps makes me sick to my stomach. Has anyone heard of alternatives? I know this is the only thing that insurance will cover, but I'm desperate. I don't want her looking awful for years. I'm literally in tears over this.

shoshina

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:09 pm
Why can't she get the tooth-matching reisen stuff? I have never heard of a child having silver caps, I thought those were out of fashion in the dental community too.

drumjj

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 5:36 pm
its not worth the money to get tooth matching resin, it costs of alot of money, time and effort and you have to have a lot of prep done on the teeth and its much more traumatic for the child to have the teeth matching ones made. the silver ones are much less stressful to put on and to prepare the tooth and a much better idea for a kid.
(I worked as a dental assistant for 5 years)

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 6:52 pm
My ds. 8, just had one put in. It also just fell out though. Exploding anger

imabima

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:13 pm
yo'ma wrote:

The whole tooth fell out or the cap fell off?

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:13 pm
imabima wrote:
yo'ma wrote:

The whole tooth fell out or the cap fell off?

cap

gold21

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:46 pm
my son has a silver cap on the tooth that is farthest back on bottom and probably needs a silver cap on the other side, also farthest tooth back on bottom. honestly, when its far back, you barely notice it.

those 2 teeth are root canals (technically pulpotomies) and thats why the caps were recommended.

is the tooth closer to the back or front?

imabima

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:50 pm
Bottom first molar. Basically, the first tooth after the canine. It will be very visible. Crying

gold21

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 8:56 pm
ok, why did the dentist suggest a cap?
is it a root canal/ pulpotomy?
if it is a regular cavity, I am pretty positive you can find a more skilled dentist who could fill the tooth without a cap.
a cap is usually only necessary with a root canal/ pulpotomy, and even then, sometimes you can get away without a cap.

amother

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 10:31 pm
I have a dd who has 4 silver caps. She had them put in at 2 years old, at the same time she had her 6 top front teeth pulled out. She had many cavities and rotten teeth. B"H, since then she has only had one small cavity.

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 10:44 pm
Boy this post stirs up memories!

my "candy free" ds pulled a fast one by pilfering a bag of lollypops we had purchased for shul at 5 y/o and kept secretly munching on them at night ,hiding all evidence inside a stuffed animal ....he developed severe cavities and needed 6 caps! the last one just fell last week ....they did the job but gave him bad sewege like breath and unless he used listerine it was gross ,B'H he is done with them . surgery was full anesthesia and a very hefty pricetag $2500 .... weirdly his friends thought these aweful metal things were cool ,he loved sticking magnets on them ... Rolling Eyes

zaq

Post Mon, May 09 2011, 11:13 pm
shlomitsmum wrote:
weirdly his friends thought these aweful metal things were cool ,he loved sticking magnets on them ... Rolling Eyes

I like that kid, he's got style! I predict a very successful life for him--here's one kid who when life gives him lemons, makes lemonade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics