Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fever from mmr shot?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 3:32 pm
Did any of your kids run fever a week after having the mmr shot? How high and for how long if yes? My dr told me it can cause fever a week later and my dd just woke up from her nap with almost 103. It's 6 days post vaccine. Tylenol hasn't helped much she is still hot and very miserable. I may gave to give motrin in sn hour too if the fever doesn't break. Please any advice? Im worried and sad.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 5:16 pm
didn't your dr tell you what to expect ?

NYmommy

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 5:28 pm
Ds got MMR vaccine yesterday. I was told he can get a fever up to 7-10 days later. Dont know how high is normal but she told me to give Motrin.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 7:08 pm
All my dr said was that while rare some kids get fever 7 days after the shot. Didn't say it would be 103 and also said it is not common. So of course I'm nervous - and called the dr- and was told it's prob the shot unless she develops a cold cough or something then to bring her in.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 7:23 pm
My son's doctor actually told me it was quite common to develop a fever around a week later. He knows I'm the nervous type and wanted to prepare me because a week later was a three day y't and he didn't want me calling on yt. embarrassed

cc

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 7:26 pm
Good to know now. My baby was so sick a week later but I didnt think it could be connected to the shot still

cc

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 7:26 pm
Good to know now. My baby was so sick a week later but I didnt think it could be connected to the shot still

amother

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 9:45 pm
cc how long did the fever last a week later?

micki

Post Wed, Dec 29 2010, 9:55 pm
they did tell you that if they have a fever they can also get a rash with it- right?
red spots
its normal and should last 1-3 days.
I found motrin works better for high fevers.

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 10:00 pm
Bringing up an old thread -
My DS had the mmr shot 8 days ago and had 103 fever this afternoon.
He seems to have a rash on his face.
What do I do for him other than motrin and tylenol for the fever? I am worried he's going to wake up at night and I won't be able to get him back to sleep. I don't know how to make him feel better other than giving him tylenol when he's due (but if he's sleeping I won't wake him to give it...)
My dr. just said that he may get fever in one week and to give him tylenol (but I gave motrin before he went to sleep).

amother

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 10:53 pm
I posted something similar last week. my dd had a fever that lasted about two days, but responded well to tylenol. She also had a rash on her tummy and back but it didn't bother her. It was gone with in three days and now she is fine.

I guess, its rare, but can happen. Also my dd gets fevers with all of her shots, even the one's the dr's say she shouldn't have a fever with, so if this is normal for your dc, then I wouldn't worry about it, unless she is really uncomfortable and not responding to meds, and is acting way out of her norm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics