Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Woodmere
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 2:19 pm
I find this thread fascinating....I married someone who grew up far away from NY and I remember when I was being set up with him, people said, "oh he's from out of town, he's really down to earth and nice." Because clearly the NY Jews are the opposite...at least the ones in the 5 towns according to common opinion.

shabri

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 3:38 pm
I grew up the in Woodmere (I'm 32 for a reference point) and my brother moved back there about 2 years ago so I have visited quite a bit since I moved to Israel. I would agree with the PP, that it is mostly the Brooklyn people who have given the 5 towns their reputation. 15-20 yrs ago, you did not have this type of behavior.

You should also realize that the 5 towns is the birthplace of organizations like CAHAL & TOVA, whose model of classes in all the schools from Darchei to HAFTR I am told would never work in any other community. It also has any shiur you want at any time that you want it. DH came home late and need a maariv minyan--I think until midnight you can catch one basically every 1/2 hr. Same for shacharis. The tzedaka that comes out of the area is also impressive.

Anyway, not everyone in the 5 towns is "jappy" MY SIL, who also grew up in Woodmere and recently bought a house there, almost always goes out in a jean skirt and tichel, unless she is going to work. She has not bought a new sheitel in 7 yrs, b/c she can't afford a new one. My nieces are not dressed in Juicy, but rather children's place and target with some Old Navy thrown in. Though some of their friends do.

I always thought that the nicest thing about the 5 towns is its diversity and for the most part, non judgemental attitude.

amother

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 3:56 pm
We live in Cedarhurst, moved from far rockaway, due to the lack of affordable housing there. My kids do not wear juicy either..all my friends from here cover their hair, wear long sleeves, and skirts. There is a very mixed crowd but I feel like everyone can find ppl similar to them to befriend.. Btw our taxes are not so outrageous, higher then far rockaway definately but it's affordable. In general I find it a very friendly warm community..and chinch here is outstanding..

nylon

Post Wed, May 18 2011, 6:06 pm
WRT taxes and costs you need to sit down and crunch numbers. Property taxes in the 5T are much higher, which can offset the difference in price when you calculate the monthly cost, but you don't pay city income tax. You really need to run the figures for your personal situation to find out which is cheaper.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 2:00 pm
I think some of the negative reputation the Five Towns has comes from outsiders who know little about the area other than its supposed reputation. I say that as a former 'outsider' who had plenty of negative opinions myself. I was very reluctant to move out there for many of the same hesitancies listed by some of the previous posters. I did move, and have not found myself regretting it in the years since.

Yes, there are some VERY moneyed people out there. Yes, there are a lot of "modern" people. Yes, the tsnius level of some is not on par with what I am accustomed to and the standard I like to set for myself and my family. But all that being said, the sense of community, the standards of open-mindedness and acceptance are something a lot of other places (read: Brooklyn) could learn from. I find that people are overall very accepting of types and statuses regardless of whether you are exactly like them, be it financially, in frumkeit, or life status. And believe me, I'm not like a lot of them, in several ways.

Mostly I would agree with the previous poster who said there's something for everyone there. You will find your niche, your type, the people that fit your derech, because the crowd is so diverse.

I would have to agree, sadly, that some of the negative aspects of the Five Towns are, if not brought on then certainly enhanced, by the transplants (excluding myself, I hope!). Bottom line, if you're determined not to play that game then there's nothing to worry about on that front.

momosix

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 2:39 pm
There are many wealthy people in the five towns who feel the need to parade their money. However, the people in Woodmere are for the most part very quiet. That is not to say that they do not have money that they spend. Even the Rebbeim here seem to have alot of money.

The best thing to do is to spend a Shabbos in Woodmere. If you walk into Aish Kodesh you will see that it is not a fashion show and that there are very few bugaboos (per capita, I think that there are alot more bugaboos in lakewood and Williamsburg than the five towns). For the most part, the children attend single relations schools and peyos abound. There is even a respectable percentage of people who send to Siach Yitzchak ( a chassideshe cheder in far rockaway) and a far larger number who send to Bnos Bais Yaacov). That being said, many of the men will daven in the Young Israel of Woodmere during the week, where nearly everyone sends to co-ed schools. Neighbors are respectful of each other and do socalize, regardless of level of frumkeit. That is a hallmark of the American Orthodox world.

Be careful to buy a house in Woodmere that is in district 15 as opposed to 14. Taxes are 30% chearper. Old Woodmere is extremely modern while the academy area is full of people who send to single relations schools. Many Rebbeim also live there. The Academy area will soon break ground on the five towns kollel.

The "Hot Chanis" seem to gravitate toward other towns, but they will be in your schools (no mattter how right wing) and you will see them on the avenue.

Hope this helps!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating