Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Twin-Size "Plastic" mattress - do they sell those

amother

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 6:37 pm
My neighbor has a couple of kids who no longer sleep in a crib. They sleep in twin beds. However, they sometimes wet their beds at night. Also, she finds that the plastic mattress covers she uses to cover their mattresses don't let the linens stay on properly and the covers also tear very easily. I told her I'd ask if anyone here knows if they sell "plastic" mattresses as opposed to the traditional fabric mattress, so they'd be easier to maintain, and be more sanitary. Hope you understand what I'm asking because I'm not sure I'm expressing myself properly. Also, if there are such mattresses, are they very expensive, and where would she purchase them? Thanks for your help.

luvsdarkchocolate

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 7:06 pm
We have waterproof mattress pads on all of our beds - twins and queen.

They are not like the old plastic ones. They feel like regular mattress pads but they have been tested (my kid is a very heavy wetter) and do protect the mattress. The linens stay on without a problem.

I bought them at various places over the years - kmart, TJMaxx, Target etc.

I bought one twin for $20 on sale. They are so worth it. I have a backup for each bed because cleaning a mattress is no fun.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 7:12 pm
I don't know if they do but I know for sure there are mattress pads that offer full protection they zipper around the entire mattress made out of plastic. Available on amazon and elsewhere.

Rodent

Post Mon, May 23 2011, 9:50 pm
I don't know about the mattresses sorry.

What I will say is that stripping the whole bed every time a kid wets the bed is nightmarish. I ended up buying half a dozen Brolly Sheets. They're waterproof and go on top of the fitted sheet (cotton topped, PUL bottom). They're brilliant and I very rarely have to change the rest of the bed, certainly a regular mattress protector would be plenty for the occasional overspillage (from placement of the brolly sheet rather than absorbency, they're plenty absorbent, I seem to have mastered this now though and haven't had to change more than the brolly sheet in months except when he vomitted...). They're comfortable, easy to wash and dry and stay looking nice forever. Just a different option that may help her if she's never tried them. They're more expensive than some other options but I can't speak highly enough of them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics