Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Freezing sauteed onions

sbs

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:15 pm
I was just wondering what's the best way to separate them,
do you bag it, how much do you put in each bag?

how about if I put them in ice cube trays, would they pop out, maybe I should spray it with pam first?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:18 pm
I put them in little baggies. If I used 5 onions when sauteeing, I divide them into 5 bags. Sometimes I will split some of the bags and mark that they have just half an onion inside.

Freezing in ice cube trays work well. You do not need to spray the trays first. There is enough oil in your sauteed onions.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:20 pm
Put them in a shallow foil pan and score the whole mess into squares with a knife or spatula. Wiggle the knife a little side to side to make the score mark a little wider. After the mess freezes the squares can be broken off individually. You can leave them in the pan or remove the whole slab and put in a ziplok bag if you need to use the pan.

Forget ice cube trays. You lose too much sticking to the sides and the trays are a pain to wash.

sbs

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:21 pm
thanx I will try in ice cube trays

chaya35

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:40 pm
I sometimes freeze them in disposable cupcake pans. They pop right out.

sbs

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 3:45 pm
zaq wrote:
Put them in a shallow foil pan and score the whole mess into squares with a knife or spatula. Wiggle the knife a little side to side to make the score mark a little wider. After the mess freezes the squares can be broken off individually. You can leave them in the pan or remove the whole slab and put in a ziplok bag if you need to use the pan.

Forget ice cube trays. You lose too much sticking to the sides and the trays are a pain to wash.

how do the marks stay, the onions don't just slide right back together?

sped

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 2:21 am
I use disposable cups to freeze.

aqua

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 3:18 pm
I use a disposable container. If you use enough oil when frying, they are very easy to spoon out.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 4:38 pm
you DEF don't need Pam.

Headspace4all

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 5:36 pm
I saute many onions, let them cool, separate them from the oil and I keep them in air-tight container in the fridge usually lasts about two weeks. another thing I recently started doing has come to be really useful is I use extra oil when sauteing when I separate the onions from the oil I dont discard the oil, I save it in a air tight container in the fridge. its a great substitute in recipes that just need the onion flavor, not the actual onion. makes my sauteed onion stash seem endless

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 5:42 pm
Seems like quite a few of you are freezing sauteed onions. What do you do with them? Doing this never occurred to me.

aqua

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 6:09 pm
its a great time/work/mess saver! whenever a recipe starts with 'saute an onion', all you do is add some ready fried onions! no chopping, mixing, waiting....

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 6:19 pm
Great idea. Do you throw them frozen solid into a hot pan? Thaw out ahead of time? What's the best way to do it? And does the texture hold up?

anonymom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 9:09 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Great idea. Do you throw them frozen solid into a hot pan? Thaw out ahead of time? What's the best way to do it? And does the texture hold up?

I throw them in frozen to chulent. Or mashed potatoes. Cant think what else.

On Shabbos morning I defrost on the counter and put straight into eggsalad.

Sometimes I saute onions, celery, carrots and maybe cabbage, pepper and zuccini. Freeze and one day throw it into a pot of boiling water with some combination of beans, split peas, barley or lentils and spices and I have an easy soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes