Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
No More Sticky Notes -task management software, anyone?

Mkay

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 10:17 pm
Anyone use a project management software? Especially if you have your own business, how do you keep on top of your "to do" list electronically? I'm through with paper and pen / sticky notes....! It's a real disaster!

TIA

fortunate123

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 12:28 am
I like to keep track of all my to-dos on a blackberry which I have in a holster on my waist at all times. I know not many women would be comfortable with that, but it solves my problem of remembering things on the fly and not having anywhere to jot them down. My life used to be a complete nightmare of chaos because I just couldn't keep track of anything. Lists and paper agendas were useless because they were so time consuming, bulky, and too short-lived. I rarely forget anything anymore (unless I remember a to-do in the shower or on shabbos!) because it's all programmed, with reminder alarms for the important ones, on my phone. The nice thing is you can get great apps for a blackberry which work seamlessly with the built-in BB Tasks, so that you can see your To Dos by "project" - or category. I use Role Call tasks, which is great for that, and when I need to brainstorm to see what I need to do, I just look through my categories list and it's easy to plan. Also, an amazing feature is the way it integrates with the calendar so that when I look at my day, I see the to-do's right in the calendar by the day and time I set as the due date, with a checkbox next to it. I can really explain more in depth if you are interested - you can pm me if you are.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:42 am
what kind of phone do you have? knowing what kind of phone you have people may be able to advise you better I think microsoft outlook might have something you can use with the calendar.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:52 am
If you use the standard MS Office applications suite, there are simple reminders you can set in Outlook.

For something more sophisticated than simple reminders, there is also MSProject which is a project management software (Gantt charts, time and resource allocations, critical paths, etc.).

tizunabi

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 3:01 am
I use sticky notes on my computer....
they stay on my desktop until I decide to delete them..

Britmummy

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 3:58 am
I use Google. I have igoogle as my homepage on my PC and the tasks, contacts and calendar synchronise with both my e-mail programme (I use thunderbird) AND my Blackberry.

This way I can access my schedule from absolutely anywhere and see deadlines, appointments etc - all at once. And if I update it in one place, it automatically synchronises with all the others!

I also tend to block timeslots for project directly into my calendar, so I don't accidentally make appointments then - or so I can rejig my schedule if I do need to make an appointment.

Honestly, I'm not naturally an organised person, but this system has made such a big difference to me :-)

BlueSatin

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:50 am
Fortunate, how do you use role call tasks exactly. I downloaded it and when I clicked add reminder it just took me to the home screen??

Mkay

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:12 am
fortunate123 wrote:
I like to keep track of all my to-dos on a blackberry which I have in a holster on my waist at all times. I know not many women would be comfortable with that, but it solves my problem of remembering things on the fly and not having anywhere to jot them down. My life used to be a complete nightmare of chaos because I just couldn't keep track of anything. Lists and paper agendas were useless because they were so time consuming, bulky, and too short-lived. I rarely forget anything anymore (unless I remember a to-do in the shower or on shabbos!) because it's all programmed, with reminder alarms for the important ones, on my phone. The nice thing is you can get great apps for a blackberry which work seamlessly with the built-in BB Tasks, so that you can see your To Dos by "project" - or category. I use Role Call tasks, which is great for that, and when I need to brainstorm to see what I need to do, I just look through my categories list and it's easy to plan. Also, an amazing feature is the way it integrates with the calendar so that when I look at my day, I see the to-do's right in the calendar by the day and time I set as the due date, with a checkbox next to it. I can really explain more in depth if you are interested - you can pm me if you are.

Thanks. The problem with this is that I really need something that dh can have equal access too at all times. Using it for business on a network. I also need to be able to sort by client / by project / highest priority...

Mkay

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:13 am
DrMom wrote:
If you use the standard MS Office applications suite, there are simple reminders you can set in Outlook.

For something more sophisticated than simple reminders, there is also MSProject which is a project management software (Gantt charts, time and resource allocations, critical paths, etc.).

This looks good. Will download for a spin. Thanks a lot.

shosh

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:21 am
I have virtual sticky notes on my screen - full of notes to myself that I always forget to read. Every so often I delete the old ones. And if I want to be mega organized, I put things on the calendar on my iPhone. For some reason, I seem to work better making mental notes of everything even though I know I have too many details to remember sometimes!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:02 pm
I also use task in the Outlook. My trick is to put the number first by priority so that the tasks show in that order instead of alphabetic order. You can set the due date, put the progress %, put a reminder on Outlook calendar.

For something less time-sensitive I also use Notes, which is like a virtual stick-it pad. I have a few notes that I constantly update, the one including Grocery Shoppping, and another titled Things to Cook.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:44 pm
Mkay wrote:
DrMom wrote:

This looks good. Will download for a spin. Thanks a lot.

MS Project is not at all cheap; it's $1000. It's a hassle if you don't have Project server, and if you have Project server it's much, much more expensive (and requires purchase of a different OS and also SharePoint) and someone has to administer it.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....68600

I totally wouldn't go for Project. It's built for big companies and even a lot of them avoid it because of prohibitive licensing costs.

Have you looked at any online tools? I've heard a lot of good things about Basecamp. The promoted $49/month plan isn't cheap BUT they also have a $24/month and a free plan listed in teeny tiny text here: http://basecamphq.com/signup

Toodledo is not exactly intuitive, but it's really powerful for task sharing and project management and is free: http://www.toodledo.com/

If you just want a shared to-do list and nothing else Remember the Milk might work: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/tour/

There are free and paid apps and mobile websites for all of the above.

Mkay

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 11:54 pm
Thanks all for the help. Actually, I'm a bit uncomfortable with a web-based program, since if I ever stop the subscription, I lose the info. What's if I don't like it, all past client and project info entered goes down the drain.

I'm actually looking at VIP Organizer. Not too expensive. So far looks very neat. It lets me put in clients, subcategorize projects under each one. Sort in a couple of ways. Can set up repeating projects easily. And creates reports in different ways. Looks really good I have to say!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics