Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Boston area information

hila

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 2:22 am
Is anyone here from the Boston area.
We (my DH and I) hope to be in the US in October after the Chagim to visit his family. However staying staying with tehm is not an option.
We will be partly in Springfield MA and partly in Boston.

I see there are lots of Kosher restaurants in Boston. Any recommendations ? Especially for a limited budget ?
We are also looking for an inexpensive place to stay - preferably with kitchenette so we can prepare food. We will have my DH's mom with us for some of the time, so if you know of a kosher (or not) vacation appartment that would be ideal preferably near a shul. Or a hotel near a shul for shabbat. We will have a car for the rest of teh time so DH can drive to minyan

Also ideas of what to do in the area. ( I really want to see whales if I can)
However I do not see dh's mom getting on a whale boat )

Thanks

Hila (who is having problems even thinking of leaving the Holy land right now)

amother

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 3:39 pm
I have not been in Boston in a long time, so I don't know the prices for the restaurants.

I would call the Bostoner Rebbe's shul --617-734-5100. I believe that they have some sort of "hachnesset orchim" operation other than ROFEH (for people who need treatment at a hospital).
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any hotels in the area where the frum people live- or within walking distance-- there probably is something in Brookline/Harvard Street area, but nothing comes to mind. Maybe (does anyone know for sure?) - that there might be a hotel close to Boston College, which, if I remember correctly, is within walking distance of the frum area in BRighton.
You might also try posting on luach.com and see if there are any short term rentals available.

in terms of sight seeing, there is quite a bit to see and do- I'm sure that there is some Boston.com (or soemthin like that) site for tourists. Also, if you have a full day, head up to the outlets in Freeport Maine (about 2 hours away, I think).

lylac

Post Tue, Aug 08 2006, 7:34 pm
Hi. I suggest calling the Mikva Lady, Mrs Cohn, who has beautiful accomodations and is ready to help you with all these questions. She's big into hachnosas orchim, and has lots of people stay with her, but if she can't I'm sure she'll suggest a ton of people.
PM me.

good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 09 2006, 11:33 am
Quote:
Also, if you have a full day, head up to the outlets in Freeport Maine (about 2 hours away, I think).

its beautiful there but not worth a 2 1/2+ hour trip.

YALT

Post Mon, Aug 21 2006, 3:57 pm
We went whale watching last time we were there. I was not expecting to enjoy it. I was sure it would be soooo boring...4 hours!!! But DH really wanted to go. So we went. I really enjoyed myself in the end! It's really interesting!
BTW, I wouldn't suggest you go with the Aquarium's boat. Right next door there's another I think it may have been an extra few dollars. But they go further, you see more, a nicer boat. Babies are not alowwed on the one from the aquarium.
Also, if you don't see anything that day, the aquarium will just give you a free pass to the aquarium. So you paid so much to not even see the whales.
Also, she may be more interested if you tell her... you also see a ton of dolphins.
If you want more info on the tour we took, let me know.

YALT

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:39 pm
Hila,
A few things I forgot to mention....
About the whale watching - DH reminded me now how we did feel a bit sick. (In fact, another woman actually vomited all over the seats. The crew was well equipped and came right away w/ a water vacuum and washed down the whole area). But my husband had just told me the day before that if you look at the water, you'll feel better. I actually saw how much it helped. Every time I didn't look at the water - I felt sick again. But as long as I watched the water, I was feeling totally well.
Places to eat... The pizza shop on Harvard has really good pizza - when the owner is there. I forgot her name. She's an Israeli/American woman, and I found that when she's there - it comes out really good! But when she's not - it's still OK - just not "the greatest"
I can't really rate the other places, since when I was there I didn't really eat out much.
The science museum is also really nice. It's much bigger & better than the one in Queens which is supposed to be the best in NY.
I don't know how much u know about these things, but a little tip... the public libraries in Boston have special passes for free admission to different museums, etc.. You can check it out like a book.
A great place to go just u & DH .... Jordan's!(in Natick)
It's a furniture store like you've never seen! When s/o suggested I go "just to see" I thought they were nuts. But it was really interesting.. The way it's set up, and just figuring out how much you would need to fill your dream house... Upstairs they have a Bose showroom, where you sit in comfy chairs to watch a short film. Then they have an IMAX. It was a nice evening out.
Jordan's: 1 Underprice Way Natick, MA 01760
508-424-0088 www.jordansimaxtheatre.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics