Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long can chicken soup cool before becoming spoiled?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 9:50 pm
Okay people I'm posting this on four message boards and will compare the answers Smile.

I cooked a huge pot of chicken soup today, Not really chicken soup but jar suppers for shimon moishe. There were four capons, 4 yams, 3 zucchinis and 5 carrots in there. At 2:30'ish I turned it off. At 5:00 p.m. I had to leave and the pot still felt burning hot from the outside touch so I continued leaving it to cool off.

I came home at 7:00 pm. and only blended and froze the contents of the pot at 8 p.m. by then the soup had pretty much cooled off. It was still lukewarm to the touch but not hot. The pot still felt hot to the touch from outside.

Is the food still okay to eat? does chicken soup/chicken get spoiled if left to cool for 6 hours, or is that okay?

Thanks for your advice.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 9:56 pm
My former coworker - you know which one - used to make such soup in the winter and put it outside overnight. sometimes in a box so the animals wouldn't get it.

Secbeb

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 9:58 pm
I've done it before and b"h, we're all still here. Should be fine.

Secbeb

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:00 pm
and to add, after seeing SaraG's post, my MIL cools her soup off on the porch during the winter overnight when she cooks it in her largest pot.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:02 pm
but I didnt cool it on the porch, but on the stove.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:21 pm
Secbeb wrote:
and to add, after seeing SaraG's post, my MIL cools her soup off on the porch during the winter overnight when she cooks it in her largest pot.

Just curious, isn't she worried about vermin getting ahold of it?

happy2beme

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 9:05 am
Was your house cool? air conditioner on or windows opened?

cindy324

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 1:27 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. I always leave soup to cool on the stove uncovered for a few hours. You're not supposed to put warm soup in the fridge, because it might spoil everything else by raising the temp in the fridge.

chen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 1:35 pm
Boil again before serving to kill any germs.

Buddy

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:11 pm
Do you think it was at room temperature for more than 2 hours? If food remains at room temperature for two hours or longer, bacteria can multiply and cause food poisoning.

redhot

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:18 pm
I NEVER leave my food out to cool off. I read an article about MYTHS a few years ago, that refrigerators today are powerful enough to cool off any temperature food, and that the idea of 'cooling off food before putting it in the fridge' is a MYTH today.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 2:24 pm
I have heard that it's on an old wives tale.
However,
My mother always left her chicken soup on the stove for a few hours to cool off before putting in fridge, so I do too. And it won't spoil unless you leave it out for like many many hours. And anyways, once you boil it again to serve it, you kill any germs or whatever.

Secbeb

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 11:51 pm
sthillmom wrote:
I NEVER leave my food out to cool off. I read an article about MYTHS a few years ago, that refrigerators today are powerful enough to cool off any temperature food, and that the idea of 'cooling off food before putting it in the fridge' is a MYTH today.

Maybe a small pot of soup, but when its one of those huge stock pots they will heat the inside of the refridgerator right up. My MIL's porch is enclosed, just not insulated - so cooling the soup there doesn't attract any vermin.

sarahd

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 5:13 am
Mindy, next time I would put the pot into cold water to cool it off quickly. Having said that, if it was reasonably cool in your home, I wouldn't worry about the soup having spoiled. On a hot day, though..... Confused

rise above

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 7:01 am
I make my soup at night, and usually turn it off 11:30-12:00
I leave it to cool covered with 2 or 3 dish towels until the MORNING (7:00-8:00) and bH my soup is fine and so are we Smile
My mother has been doing this for years and she too never had a problem.

that being said, I would say your soup is safe !

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 7:25 am
You'll be fine!! I leave mine out much longer then that without a problem.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 10:18 am
netoomuch wrote:
I make my soup at night, and usually turn it off 11:30-12:00
I leave it to cool covered with 2 or 3 dish towels until the MORNING (7:00-8:00) and bH my soup is fine and so are we Smile
My mother has been doing this for years and she too never had a problem.

that being said, I would say your soup is safe !

That's what my mother does, and now that's what I do!

lucky

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 10:19 am
If I put my soup into the fridge to cool, I have sour milk the next day.

I put my fish to cool on the porch and a cat got into it.

happy2beme

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 10:36 am
Quote:
If I put my soup into the fridge to cool, I have sour milk the next day.

I put my fish to cool on the porch and a cat got into it.

ok, lucky, I know it's not supposed to be funny, but ur post made me lol!!! LOL

lucky

Post Wed, Aug 30 2006, 10:47 am
It surely didn't make me laugh when it happened. But looking back, it was interesting that the cat managed to tip the box that was covering the pot. I never put any food on the porch anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen