Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Can u pleeeeez post recipe from Simply Tempting or elsewhere

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:22 pm
for Fong Wong Gai? I've made this without a recipe and it comes out yum, but I'd really like to have an exact recipe to guarantee perfect and consistent results every time. I know there is one in that cookbook, but I don't have it right now, so maybe someone would post it or another recipe you have found? I searched but couldn't find one.

key

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 12:40 pm
I have no clue what that is but sounds good can u post ur version of it please

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Jan 25 2010, 1:03 pm
It's a yummy dish I've had at chinese restaurants that consists of chicken cutlet stuffed with pastrami in the middle (I believe the non-kosher version uses ham), coated with a batter on the outside and fried, then served over a mix of little chunks of various vegetables with little bits of pastrami mixed in, with a yummy sauce. Or something like that. I can't say exactly how I made it because I don't usually measure when cooking - I just open the fridge and cupboards and look inside, and pull out whatever ingredients I see that look like they might help me get the taste and texture I'm going for at the time, and throw in a little of some and a little more of others, so I probably never make the same thing the same way twice. I have used various batter mixtures, I guess a mixture you use for sesame chicken or similar dishes would be fine. You could either use thick chicken cutlets that haven't been pounded flat, cut a deep slit in the side and stuff the pastrami in there, or use 2 flattened pieces, put pastrami in between, and rely on the batter coating to keep them together. The way I did it last time was use one flattened cutlet, put pastrami on half of it and fold it in half, but the shape is a little weird looking. I saute the veggies with the little bits of pastrami, but I'm sure you could steam them, and maybe the chinese do, I have no idea. I always use different combinations but last time I didn't have a whole lot of veg in the house so I think I used onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms IIRC, although the chinese usually include stuff like baby corn and water chestnuts and maybe bean sprouts? I don't remember how I made the sauce, but it's a lighter sauce, not the really dark stuff a lot of chinese dishes use, and it is likely I would use things like cornstarch, water, soy sauce, rice vinegar, possibly brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic powder, and ginger or five-spice powder. I taste it as I go along so I can tell what it needs, but then again I guess you'd have to know what it is supposed to taste like in order to do that, so you could just make it taste however you like it and never mind authenticity.

kenz

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 12:13 pm
Bumping this b/c I too would love to have this recipe. Anyone?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey