Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Uppababy Vista - truck?

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 6:22 pm
Everyone seems to be telling me this is the way to go but the back axle is so wide- it's like a truck.

Can people be honest with me- if I buy this stroller will I need another one that is more portable/maneuverable? Does it "do" snow? I live in NYC and don't have a car so I walk a lot and will be taking public transportation too.

What are the cons? Why is everyone so gung-ho on this stroller?

Any other strollers to suggest?

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 6:49 pm
If you plan on taking busses and trains, its really not a good option, I am pretty sure the only way to fold it is to dismantle it. You would be better off with something lightweight with a one piece preferable one handed fold. Graco has some decent one hand folds, The citi mini is also an option. Neither of those choices are all that great in snow, but the bigger carriages only have a bit more chance.

Queen18

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 6:56 pm
It's great for walking and great in the snow and ice. The back axle is sometimes hard to manauver is small space but overall I love the stroller. The basket is huge. It's great for shopping and fitting everything in. I think the bassinet is excellent for infants till they are ready for a seat. It is not so good for getting in and out of the car and may be hard to use going up lots of stairs.

wifey

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 7:00 pm
You can collapse the vista without dismantling it. You have to have it in the forward facing position. I have collapsed it with 1 hand (and a finger while holding the baby) but it isn't that easy. I took it on a bus in NYC and wasn't so easy to do with a baby but doable. Subways would be easier.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 7:02 pm
It's a good carriage to use for walking and in general but not for shlepping places and in the car. It is a sturdy good carriage though.

tdot2mtl

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 7:05 pm
I love it. its is an amazing stroller for snow, grass, hills anything outdoors. the back is wide, and may be tight in small spaces (cramped stores), but the basket is HUGE! and its a gorgoues, comfy stroller. it does fold without dismantling if the seat is in the forward position (not the bassinet). it is heavyish so I had to buy an umbrella stroller for my car. I actually got the uppababy g-luxe, which I love also! it is only 11 lbs, reclining seat and really cute! I am a big fan of uppababy products!

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 7:06 pm
So all you Vista users what do you use to travel? And why is it "the" stroller that's suggested?

Basically, I'll need 2 strollers?

spring13

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:34 pm
It's not going to be good for public transport, it's heavy and bulky. People like it b/c it's stylish, fairly versatile, and other posh strollers are even more expensive.

if you're going to take it on public transport a lot, I'd get something lighter and easier to fold. the prob with lighter strollers is that they're not as good over bad terrain. have you looked at the Britax B-Agile or the City Mini? they might be the best compromise for you.

and, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, look into good baby carriers for public transport, they're often the most practical choice.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 5:05 pm
Going to suggest the Citi-Mini for you.

I am an Uppababy owner in Brooklyn and I love it, and I actually take it in and out of the car all the time - but as mentioned it is really best for walking (over just about anything) and shopping, which I do all the time, sure beats looking for parking.

BUT - it is heavy and because the back tires are so wide (which is why it wheels so nicely) it is difficult to carry, I don't see how it would work on a bus.

The CitiMini sounds like it would best suit your needs. It is a pretty smooth ride, and because it is not that wide, you will be able to pass by the people who only shovel enough room for a very small child (pet peeve), and it is a true fold with one hand stroller, light, and folds very flat.

Just MHO.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 7:50 pm
Firstly, I live and work within walking distance of each other. It's just that when I need to go out of the neighborhood it will be via public transportation.
My issues with the city mini are: 1) it seems to get scruffy pretty quickly 2) I want to see my baby Smile

chubsy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 8:09 pm
Another happy owner of the Uppababy. I love the carriage. It's nice, roomy and has great wheels.
Works great in the snow.... I bounce it up and down the stairs daily.
One of my only issues is that the back wheels are little to wide but we deal with it.

I wouldn't recommend it for buses or the subway. For that I have a Maclaren.

Oh and they have great customer service.

hop613

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 7:21 am
You can look into the bumbleride flyer, although I'm not sure how good it will be with the snow

thedudette

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 5:36 pm
I have the flyer - it pushes ok in snow just not over high snow - that's impossible - need big air tires for that. other than that I love mine.

Ronit

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 6:31 pm
I'm just wondering why everyone is saying it isn't good for the subway? I don't have the stroller, but I have a bugaboo frog & love taking it on the subway. It is lightweight & bumps up the steps nicely. It's much easier than going with a baby carrier or an umbrella stroller.

It is a nuisance for the bus because they make you fold, but why are people lumping bus & subway together?

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 9:13 pm
the Vista is heavier than the Fog/Camelion so its harder to shlep up stairs...

chubsy

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 7:30 am
@ bnm - the uppababy vista is actually great on stairs. It's fairly simple to bump it up or down. My issue with it on the subway is that it's just big. I find that in crowded and busy places I'm always in the way.

Ronit

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 7:47 am
huh, if you where a group of 10 would you avoid riding the subway?

I use the subway with my stroller (frog) all the time. It's the easiest means of transportation. Child can sleep, no transfering, etc. The only time it may be an issue is rush hour, but I really don't care. If an overweight person doesn't think twice about riding the subway, then why should I with my stroller?

bnm

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 7:51 am
I took my Camelion on the train all the time too. its not that big...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics