Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 1 yr old keeps getting chalazions in her eye!!!!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 9:48 pm
It's like a red bump in eyelid. First it was one for quite a few months. When that started draining- two more followed. I think a new one is coming now. HELP!!!! Eye dr was just able to give it a name and let me know if they don't drain, they'll do it surgically. She also has some dots/pimples/rash kinda thing all over her face. No idea if it's connected .All this is only on her face.
If anyone knows any info whatsoever which can be helpful-please share.

drumjj

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:09 pm
my daughter had this and they didnt drain, its a condition.
she had an operation it was really minor, had three removed in one eye and it was less than half an hr.
the drs told me to put hot compress on her eye as many times as possible a day and this cleans the ducts under the eyes and stops they getting clogged up

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 11:23 pm
Thanks so much!! Can't tell you how relieved I am to see somebody else went through similar. What do you mean by -' it's a condition?" I do compresses and it is draining bh. But why on earth does she keep getting more? NObody seems to know what causes them

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 12:18 am
My brother used to get them all the time.
My parents cut him bangs so his hair wouldn't go in his eyes.
He eventually grew out of them.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 9:27 am
OP here. Thanks so much

skcomputer

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 2:25 pm
Ask your doctor about:
1. fish oil supplements (may be hard for a 1 year old).
2. Eye lid washing (if he has Blepharitis)

My eye doctor recommended #1 for me and #2 for my daughter.

sarahmalka

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 6:28 pm
skcomputer wrote:
Ask your doctor about:
1. fish oil supplements (may be hard for a 1 year old).
2. Eye lid washing (if he has Blepharitis)

My eye doctor recommended #1 for me and #2 for my daughter.

Regarding #1, if your doctor recommends this, there are liquid fish oil products that taste pretty good. I don't know which ones have a hechsher or not, but I do know that Nordic Naturals & Seroyal products have good compliance with children. (no affiliation with these companies)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 6:37 pm
op here.
Can you pls explain
1- Why do you think fish oil might help?
2- what is that?

SunshineWoman

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 7:01 pm
I used to get them. They can get very itchy and annoying. I got them as a teenager, and was told to put hot compresses on my eyes. However, I don't know if that is advisable for a child so young. I would recommend talking to the pediatrician about that treatment. Otherwise, I had it surgically removed, it was an out patient procedure, however they had to do some constructive work to repair my eyelid. Six years later you wouldn't be able to tell! From what I gather, chalazions form from buildup of the tear ducts. I hope she has a refuah shelamach and never gets another chalazion!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 30 2011, 7:30 pm
OP here.Amen - Thank you!

drumjj

Post Fri, Jul 01 2011, 3:00 am
in answer to ur question I was told its a skin condition that some children are susceptable for. in a child its usually done as a minor operation under anethetic, my daughter is seven or was seven when she had it done. she has no scaring or anything. I was told that as long as we do the compresses, which is not dangerous u do just as warm enough for that child it will be fine and she will grow out of it and bh since the operation she hasnt had another one yet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics