Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bedwetting and Sleepaway camp

amother

Post Thu, Jul 07 2011, 9:29 pm
have you ever had a kid that was still bedwetting and you sent to a sleepaway camp?
how did you handle that?

amother

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 12:02 am
yes, it's not uncommon at all!!! the doctor prescribed her with DDAVP (a pill) that she took every night before she went to bed. It's totally safe and easy to hide from everyone. She took it regularly at home as well.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 9:42 am
OP here: I got that from my doc and started giving it to my son this week, and it doesnt work, did it start working right away for your daughter or it took time?

underthestars

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 3:51 pm
While I am not sending her to camp, I have a daughter who still has bedwetting problems. She is getting older (almost 10), and she refuses to take the pills given to her by the dr's. She is not terribly upset that she still needs to wear diapers at night, and I am at my wits end to deal with this situation. I have taken her to various dr's to make sure all is ok, & B"H, it is, but her body still isn't "there yet" regarding the wetness issue. Any suggestions out there??? How does one get their child "dry"? I haven't experienced this with any of my other children. There was one expert that was coming to my community but he was charging mega bucks to help. Any advice would be appreciated.

morah

Post Fri, Jul 08 2011, 4:01 pm
There's nothing wrong with sending a bedwetting child to camp, but please make sure she is prepared to do what she needs to do on her end. Also, please let the counselors know. When I was a counselor, I had a bedwetter in my bunk- no big deal, except that I didn't know about until I noticed a strong urine-y smell emanating from the area of the bunk where her bed was located. I discovered a bag of used night pads under her bed- she was stuffing them in the bag instead of throwing them out (probably because she was embarrassed). Now, I get being embarrassed by the other kids, but she should have been able to approach me- whether for help in discreetly disposing of the pads or changing sheets in the middle of the night if necessary or what have you. So send your daughter to camp, but make sure she can deal with it discreetly and maturely, and make sure to give the staff a heads up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics