Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to worry about dehydration

amother

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 2:04 pm
my son woke up this morning not feeling well.

he doesnt have any fever.

He vomited 3 times within an hour. He hasnt eaten or drunk since before bed last night.

The doctors office gave me the usual instructions of no food or liquids, etc.

they did give me instructions on too much vomiting, no urine or tears, in relation to dehydration. I also know that being lethargic is part of dehydration.

after my son vomited last he fell asleep and has been sleeping for at least an hour now. I know that is normal but when do I get nervous that he is dehydrated? I am lucky that at least today is not a hot one here so I dont have to worry about that aiding his dehydration.

do I wake him up at some point?

ElTam

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 4:32 pm
How old is your child? The younger the child, the more you have to worry. How long has it been since he vomited? Our pediatrician lets us give liquids 1 hour after the last vomiting. Start with 1 TBS of liquid at a time and wait 10 mins between each spoonful.

Does your doctor have an advice nurse?

Refuah shleima.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 13 2011, 4:37 pm
OP here,

thanks for the reply.

my son woke from his nap after about 2 hours and was a totally child, more himself than early in the day. we did the 1 tbsp of water every 10 minutes for an hour and half and now he is having toast.

the doctors office didnt want me giving solids till tomorrow but he's been begging for the toast/food (which is a good sign I guess in terms of attitude), so I made him wait a bit and just gave him some toast and we'll see how that goes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics