Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Anxiety in child

amother

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:47 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for a 6 year old suffering from anxiety, sometimes quite severe.
Pediatrician did not take me seriously. Then again, he didn't hear my child crying from fear, or see my child check the doors to make sure it is locked. (child overheard about a robbery in the neighborhood, but was somewhat anxious prior to that too). TIA

Sparkle

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:51 pm
Skip the pediatrician and go straight to a therapist. I found a wonderful play therapist for childrenwho was very helpful with my 7 year old who is FULL of anxieties. At her recommendation we then went on months later to get a diagnosis for him.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 1:55 pm
Sparkle wrote:
Skip the pediatrician and go straight to a therapist. I found a wonderful play therapist for childrenwho was very helpful with my 7 year old who is FULL of anxieties. At her recommendation we then went on months later to get a diagnosis for him.

What kind of therapist?
Any recommendations in Brooklyn?
TIA

ElTam

Post Mon, Jul 11 2011, 5:02 pm
Good for you for being so proactive. Also maybe check out some books on tips for what you and DH can do to help your child. One of my kids has some anxiety and we've been able to help her with positive thinking, breathing exercies, etc.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 12 2011, 12:33 am
ElTam wrote:
Good for you for being so proactive. Also maybe check out some books on tips for what you and DH can do to help your child. One of my kids has some anxiety and we've been able to help her with positive thinking, breathing exercies, etc.

Thank you for responding. Can you please recommend some books? I think we really do need outside intervention by now, we've been trying on our own.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 15 2011, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
ElTam wrote:

Thank you for responding. Can you please recommend some books? I think we really do need outside intervention by now, we've been trying on our own.

If you PM me, I can recommend a couple of therapists in Brooklyn who work with children with anxiety.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics