Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking for... the garbage
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 12:36 pm
We should make a master list someplace of ways to recycle food. Like, if OP made rice for Shabbos, rather than throwing it away, she could make rice kugel.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:40 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
We should make a master list someplace of ways to recycle food. Like, if OP made rice for Shabbos, rather than throwing it away, she could make rice kugel.

I think that's a very good idea.

Op, learning how much to make per guest or type of guests takes time. We have a "rule" in our house, I only cook what we are willing to eat left over (aside for fresh salad).

grin

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:59 pm
some of my most creative (and tasty) dishes have had their beginnings in the freezer. It can be fun mixing and matching, too. (having a holocaust survivor for a mom helped this attitude a lot, of course.)

B"H

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 5:44 pm
I second the idea of making kugel in two small pans and then freezing one if not eaten. doesn't have the feel of leftovers at all. pretty much everything you make for shabbos can be frozen afterwards, and even if your kids don't want to eat it during the week, you can always take it out for another shabbos! (makes shabbos cooking easier, too!)
something else I do:
take leftover chicken soup with some chicken and all the veggies (works best if you put sweet potato in your chicken soup) and blend them to make a yummy veggy soup with lots of protein in it. use it during the week for supper- your kids don't have to know it's leftovers!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 6:52 pm
Tishrei has a lot of three day yomtov coming up; all recycling ideas are welcomed.

manyhats

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 7:12 pm
6 yeladim's Ima has alot of common sense and a sure way in the kitchen.

Bracha

smilethere

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 5:08 am
I often used leftover chicken, cut it into strips and saute with plenty of onion. Serve in vol-au-vents or over rice - a new dish.

Bits of chicken and vegetables from the chicken soup, I often mash with some added sauteed onions, and place a scoop on a square of puff pastry. Pull up into a sack, (edited to add: bake first) make a quick mushroom sauce (or take some out of freezer) and hey presto chicken wellingtons.

Leftover soup I freeze and then add as a stock for a vegetable soup.

Leftover fish - salad or chuck.

Leftover mashed potatoes - shepherds pie.

Anybody else have ideas for turning leftovers into new dishes, so food doesn't go to waste, but it doesn't seem like you are using the same food again and again.

Marion

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 5:14 am
Your food spoils IN your fridge? I'd have the thermostat checked...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics