Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Daughter was just diagnosed as being tongue tied

ElJayMom

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 11:48 pm
Recently I had taken my 9 months old DD to the doctor for a sick visit. "by chance" the dr noticed (while she was crying) that she is tongue tied. Saying that I'm extremely upset at the Dr. for noticing it NOW is an understatement... I always use the same dr for checkups, and used him when my baby was a newborn for the first well visit... I always complained that she nurses for a very long time and that she takes no bottles n pacifiers...
Anyways, back to the point. I made an appt with a Dr already...
I'm very nervous what I need to expect from the procedure. Will she be put on anesthesia? Will she be able to eat/nurse right afterwards? how long will she be in pain from the procedure? I do know that the procedure will be done in the hospital.

Thanks in advance!

unexpected

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:01 am
I had 2 kids tongue tied. On the first one I never did the procedure, and he is fine. He has no lisp, speaks clearly, the only thing is that he can't eat ice cream. On the second one, I had him clipped at about three weeks, no anasthesia, nothing. He cried until I nursed him and didn't bleed at all. Ironically, he does not speak clearly at all an needs to go for speech therapy.
I would venture to say, that if your doctor didn't notice it until 9 months, she is probably not that tongue tied and surgery may be optional. When my first baby was born, my doctor told me at about 3 months. When my second baby was born, everyone told me, from my ob, to the nursing staff in the hospital, the mohel...

ElJayMom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:08 am
Didn't your dr want him to have the procedure done? doesnt it need to get fixed?
My baby's Dr said it can affect her speech and as I said, she has/d a hard time nursing and takes no bottles...

unexpected

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:16 am
My reg. pediatrician told me he would give me a referral if I wanted, so I asked him how necesary it is and he told me that some people would say to do it right away and others would say to wait and see if there's problems. So I waited. With my second son, I did it mainly to make my mother happy, as she was discussing it endlessly, and I had my midwife snip it in her office. She had originally told me to come in sometime that week and she wasn't too happy that I had waited but she did it anyway and it worked out fine.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:23 am
My youngest was 5 months old when we had his tongue-tie clipped. It was a quick thing, I had to apply pressure for a couple of minutes and then he nursed.

He didn't seem to be in pain after the initial cut.

And his nursing/sucking improved.

ElJayMom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:31 am
YESHASettler wrote:
My youngest was 5 months old when we had his tongue-tie clipped. It was a quick thing, I had to apply pressure for a couple of minutes and then he nursed.

He didn't seem to be in pain after the initial cut.

And his nursing/sucking improved.

Thanks Yeshasettler! I'm worried my baby will be in pain AND shes having trouble with sucking. I hope her sucking will improve (and she'll b able to take a bottle... ) Whistling

Raizle

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:53 am
ElJayMom wrote:
Recently I had taken my 9 months old DD to the doctor for a sick visit. "by chance" the dr noticed (while she was crying) that she is tongue tied. Saying that I'm extremely upset at the Dr. for noticing it NOW is an understatement... I always use the same dr for checkups, and used him when my baby was a newborn for the first well visit... I always complained that she nurses for a very long time and that she takes no bottles n pacifiers...
I'm very nervous what I need to expect from the procedure. Will she be put on anesthesia? Will she be able to eat/nurse right afterwards? how long will she be in pain from the procedure? I do know that the procedure will be done in the hospital.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how tongue tied your child is but one of mine is a little tongue tied and it was only noticed by the speech therapist at about the age of 3 or 4
wasn't enough to do any procedures, we just gave him speech therapy to work around the issues it was causing.

Rodent

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 1:45 am
At 9 months I'd be surprised if they'd just snip it like a newborn. As they get older they develop blood vessels and it needs to be done under a general, I've heard 6 months as the cutoff, but if hers is thin you may be ok so worth having it looked at.

Our eldest was diagnosed with his tongue-tie at 5 weeks after 5 weeks of difficulties in feeding. The dr refused to refer him despite saying that it looked significant enough to affect speech as they like to see if they'll stretch over time and he was capable of drinking from a bottle. I wish I'd known better and insisted. Instead I ended up giving up breastfeeding at 6 weeks. His speech clarity was poor and he had his tongue-tie surgically corrected under anaesthetic at 22 months. [He has had lots of ENT issues also and after a second set of grommets/adenoid removal recently has caught up mostly with his speech content though his clarity still needs work, I suspect it is partially due to his compromised hearing and partially because of poorly developed muscles, some of which still stems from his tongue-tie days even though he's now 4 1/2].

Our 3rd was born with a minor tie. It was much thinner also (#1's was quite thick). We chose to leave it because it looked 'stretchy' and it has stretched without issue over time. #2 and #4 have no tie.

Good luck with it. Feel free to drop me a line if it comes to the surgery choice.

top105

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 12:33 pm
From personal experience, the earlier you do it, the better. I didnt do it cause lots of ppl said there is no need for it. But the kid had problem with talking and ped said tongue tie could be major fault. I did surgery when kid was 20 months. really nothing to it. I didnt see any blood, nor was the kid in any pain afterwards.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 3:24 pm
I'm all for getting a tongue tie snipped, no matter what. Both my husband and I are tongue tied, both our kids are tongue tied.
The doc that snipped my boys' tongue ties has been doing research on the affect of having a tongue tie. In addition to the obvious one of difficulty nursing and speech issues, there also is a big connection between tongue ties and palate issues (high, narrow palate, necessitating palate spreaders and braces, etc...) and sinus issues and hormonal issues (not sure which one- but I think thyroid is connected to it- I'll have to ask my mom, she was there most recently with my older sister getting her son's tongue tie snipped).

So even if its nothing verifyable 100%, even if theres a slight chance it'll help all this, I'd think its worth it.

For the record, both my sister, husband and I with tongue ties have been palate issues. Sister and I both had palate spreaders and braces (I had a palate spreader twice!) and my husband has a really high, narrow palate and his idiot dentist just pulled teeth instead of giving him an expander...
Oh, and my sister and I both needed speech therapy.

I'd say snip it- totally worth it, even if you have to pay for it out of pocket.

ElTam

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 8:31 pm
If it makes you feel better, my DH was tongue-tied. His dentist noticed about two years ago...he's in his 30s (my DH, not the dentist).

They did not use general anesthesia and there was not much bleeding. I think he took a little ibuprofen. He had it done on his lunch time and went back to work.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 9:21 pm
ElJayMom wrote:

Thanks in advance!

2 of my kids were born tongue tied. Fixing it is a 2 minute thing, there is no need for anesthesia, just a strong stomach. There is no reason to be mad at the doctor, Its not all that noticeable when its minor, had it been major and there were weight issues and nursing issues it would have been noticed. My older child was 8 months before we realized it, the only reason we fixed it was because it could cause speech issues, and he was having a hard time with solids.

We already knew what to look for after the child before, so we caught it in the hospital. My younger childs was fixed at 3 weeks, because he was having nursing and weight issues. once it was fixed he was fine.

I had it done by 2 different doctors, one was better then the other. By both I held my baby while a nurse held the head, the doctor then held a scapel and waited for my baby to open his mouth , when he did, he cut the little piece under the tongue, there was a bit of blood Baby cried for less then a minute, I gave my son a bottle of water, and we went home, no pain killers, or pain, there really aren’t nerves in that area to hurt.

The second doctor cut and simultaneously cauterized, that was a bit traumatizing. and the baby screamed a lot, I nursed him ten minuets later and he was 100% fine. but the bottom of his tongue was pretty ugly for a while.

If your in Brooklyn, I recommend Dr. Ari Goldsmith.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics