Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Sesame Place more info or Dutch wonderland info?

Basimcha

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:12 am
We were thinking of going for a few days to Lancaster, Pa we would do Dutch Wonderland. Still looking what else to do there. I heard there are lots of stuff. I just have to do more research. Is there a kosher pizza stores there?

Sesame Place in Langhorne, PA is another option. However, I am not sure if there are any other attractions in the area? Anyone familiar? Kosher food?

My kids are ages 2-8 .

If you have visited either one of these places can you let me know how it was? I am open to other options as well.

thanks

gr8erthanme

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 8:01 am
I have been to Sesame Place a number of times - stayed three nights and two days - get hotel room via priceline ofr bopkes.

It is a waterpark. Everyone is walking around in bathing suits. That is a great age to go there. My kids really loved it (hence the repeat visits). You can buy the entrance tickets in advance online, or if you will use a credit card anyway, there are self-serve kiosks - the actual lines are huge. The tickest are about $50 - but they are two day passes. We always spent two whole days there.

Basimcha

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:33 pm
gr8erthanme wrote:
I have been to Sesame Place a number of times - stayed three nights and two days - get hotel room via priceline ofr bopkes.

It is a waterpark. Everyone is walking around in bathing suits. That is a great age to go there. My kids really loved it (hence the repeat visits). You can buy the entrance tickets in advance online, or if you will use a credit card anyway, there are self-serve kiosks - the actual lines are huge. The tickest are about $50 - but they are two day passes. We always spent two whole days there.

Is it only a waterpark? Or like The Great Escape in Lake george that has one side water park other regular amusement rides? Anything else in the area to do? Any kosher food?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:49 pm
We did Lancaster for a few days for the second year in a row. There is lots to do there including choo choo barn,strasberg railroad, cherry crest farm-theres a kosher pizza store there, amish town and can take a horse n buggy ride, and of course dutch wonderland.

sbs

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 6:21 pm
we went to lancaster last year for 2 nights, 3 days,
dutch wonderland has this thing that you can come into the park the last 3 hrs. the day before with your ticket for the next day,
so we left morning, stopped in herr's potato chip factory, checked into hotel, got to dutch wonderland at around 5 and went from 5:30-8:30,
the next day we went back from around 10-2:30 then drove to hershey, about 40 minutes away,
we went on the factory tour, a 3-d show, and a trolley tour around hershey town with people acting out the parts of the olden day characters (it was really cute)
then we drove back to lancaster, (we went to hershey in afternoon cuz everything was open late)
the next day we went to choo choo barn and cherry crest farms
dutch wonderland has a kosher pizza and fleishig restaurant, you can get a pass to go in just to buy food, and I heard that this year cherry crest farms has kosher as well.
we really had a great time, there's delicious kosher kettle corn in dutch wonderland, you can buy a bucket and pay a little for refils, we were eating that the whole day...

sunshine!

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 7:26 pm
Also when we went to Dutch Wonderland, the kosher kiosk was selling tickets for $25. You can access it through the parking lot. There is a window there and you can purchase tickets.

Basimcha

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:40 pm
Thanks so much to all of your for your suggestions.

Any hotel that you would recommend in the Lancaster area?

chaya35

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 4:54 am
Basimcha wrote:

Doubletree - they sometimes have 2 free tickets to Dutchwonderland or Hershey if you stay with them on Sun & Mon
Eden Resort
Willow Valley

Basimcha

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:52 am
chaya35 wrote:
Basimcha wrote:

Doubletree - they sometimes have 2 free tickets to Dutchwonderland or Hershey if you stay with them on Sun & Mon
Eden Resort
Willow Valley

If I can get all the above hotels for the same price, which one is the nicest/cleanest?

DrMom

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 10:00 am
I'd pick Dutch Wonderland/Amish country over Sesame Place any day.

Options for kosher food are much better in the former location. Also, there are multiple things to see and do there, whereas Sesame Place is one attraction.

In the Lancaster area you can go to Dutch Wonderland (great for small kids, and there is a kosher concession stand in the park), take a buggy tour of Amish country, go to the Ronks Cherry Farm (it's like a country fair with haybale mazes, little chicks to pet, a steam train to ride, etc. Very wholesome fun. And some of the refreshments are kosher. The Amish people have so many frum Jews going there, they actually know which of their treats are kosher and which aren't!). You can also go on tours of kosher pretzel factories.

Tip: Down the road from Dutch Wonderland there is a large Target store with a grocery section. Typical grocery selections -- lots of OU approved snacks and treats. And coolers and backpacks and anything else you may have forgotten.

Basimcha

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 7:36 pm
DrMom wrote:
I'd pick Dutch Wonderland/Amish country over Sesame Place any day.

Options for kosher food are much better in the former location. Also, there are multiple things to see and do there, whereas Sesame Place is one attraction.

In the Lancaster area you can go to Dutch Wonderland (great for small kids, and there is a kosher concession stand in the park), take a buggy tour of Amish country, go to the Ronks Cherry Farm (it's like a country fair with haybale mazes, little chicks to pet, a steam train to ride, etc. Very wholesome fun. And some of the refreshments are kosher. The Amish people have so many frum Jews going there, they actually know which of their treats are kosher and which aren't!). You can also go on tours of kosher pretzel factories.

Tip: Down the road from Dutch Wonderland there is a large Target store with a grocery section. Typical grocery selections -- lots of OU approved snacks and treats. And coolers and backpacks and anything else you may have forgotten.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. Do you know which hotel in considered nicest/clean in the lancaster area?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 7:39 pm
We stayed this year in the doubletree-there is an offer for free tickets but on certain days only-find out when it is. It was nice and clean and had a beautiful indoor waterpark.

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 7:47 pm
I don't know what the ages your kids are but cherry crest farm was amazing! they have a petting zoo part, corn maze (only good for older kids would not recommend for younger) amazing activities to do with the kids, a slide that goes down a mountain (older kids), fabulous playground (younger kids) and a little choo choo ride for little kids, and a big tractor ride for all ages.

octopus

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 7:48 pm
we stayed at windham by wingate. they have oversized rooms with a pretty good price.

Patti

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 10:35 am
we have stayed at eden resort - it is very nice and clean. We will go there again.

theotherone

Post Wed, Jul 27 2011, 5:59 pm
the fulton steamboat inn in lancaster is awesome! gone there twice and will go again. they have a great playground outside plus a duck pond with ducks to feed and they give you free duck food at the front desk. they also have a program where you can adopt a goldfish during your stay there--they brought us a tank plus the fish to our room. very family friendly but extremely clean and well-kept.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics