Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Do you make your children's lunch? your husband's lunch?
Previous  1  2

MamaBear

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:05 am
Don't feel bad for the pregnant woman unless her husband is literally forcing her to wake up early and make his lunch. She's making a choice that she would rather wake up on her day off and make a grown man a sandwich. It's not a choice I would ever make- my husband gets a hot dinner every night and a shabbos feast every week. He can make his own sandwich and does.

obagys

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:16 am
I make my husband lunch and ditto for the kids (4 school-aged children ages 10, 9, 8 and 5 k'h). My husband doesn't demand that I make lunch, but if I don't, I know he'll just buy snacks or unhealthy convenience food. My 10 yr old gets up too late to make her own lunch, but can and sometimes does if she can get her act together. My 9yr old DD usually helps me tremendously in the morning with the 2 babies (14 mo and 2 mo) so I figure the least I can do is pack a nutritious lunch for her. My 8 year old is a boy and has not mastered the skill of preparing food, putting it in a bag, and putting the bag in his bookbag - I love him dearly but he is completely incompetent. The 5 year old is too young to make her own sandwich properly, so of course I prepare it for her.

I'm a SAHM....I figure packing lunches goes with the territory! LOL

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:37 am
grin wrote:
when there were 5 lunches to make in the morning, they often made their own since I couldn't cope. (they complain till today that they wren't mothered enough - are they right?) the younger ones are obviously much more spoiled - if I don't make the food, they won't eat.
Not at all. I still remember to this day the sandwiches that my brother would make for himself. The effort that he put in to those sandwiches was amazing and I figured out why. He was making what he liked, how he liked it because it was for him Smile I know he enjoyed.
You definitely did just fine by making them make their lunches. As I said, we were told to start making our own lunches almost as soon as we could hold a knife. We almost always made it at night.

grin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 10:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
grin wrote:
when there were 5 lunches to make in the morning, they often made their own since I couldn't cope. (they complain till today that they wren't mothered enough - are they right?) the younger ones are obviously much more spoiled - if I don't make the food, they won't eat.
Not at all. I still remember to this day the sandwiches that my brother would make for himself. The effort that he put in to those sandwiches was amazing and I figured out why. He was making what he liked, how he liked it because it was for him Smile I know he enjoyed.
You definitely did just fine by making them make their lunches. As I said, we were told to start making our own lunches almost as soon as we could hold a knife. We almost always made it at night.
well, it didn't really start by making them do it - IIRC, it started from their becoming pickier about what was inside. Wink not only that, but each one wanted s/thing else.

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:02 pm
I always make lunch for my DH. I make it the night before either while I'm preparing the evening meal or when I'm clearing up then leave it in the fridge.

I'm sure DH would make it himself if I asked him to but I don't mind doing it and he'd probably leave a trail of destruction behind him if he did it anyway! Also, I like to prepare my own lunch so on days when I need a lunch too it is no bother to make two instead of one.

When I was in elementary school my Dad used to make my lunch every day. In hgh school (from age 11) I ate school meals most days but on the occasions I needed a packed lunch I made it myself, mainly so that I could make what I liked!

DovDov

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:21 pm
I make lunch for myself and my kids the night before, but my kids are 5 and 3, so not quite capable of doing it themselves. I tell DH what's available for him and he packs his own. Once in a while, if he's running late in the morning and didn't prep the night before, I'll throw some things together for him as a favor (these days he leaves earlier than I do) but he'd never complain if I didn't.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:44 pm
Yes I make lunch and snacks for the kids and my husband. I know if I do not make lunch for my husband either he will not eat or it will end up costing. The other day he did not have a lunch and spent $8. The lunch I make is probably $2-3.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:50 pm
When I was a kid my parents making lunch was a threat. It was usually make yourself a lunch or you will get x y or z which seemed super gross to us.

Now, I make myself a lunch for the two days that I work and DH does whatever he wants eats at home or work or not at all.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 2:32 pm
lunches are a scourge on motherhood. my son (who has pdd-nos) started making his own lunches around the time he was in kindergarden. My daughter who was 3 when she started nursery school, started making her own lunches around the same time. neither of them are very in to sandwiches etc, so they just put things together that they liked and took them.

usually my son takes leftovers from the night before. my daughter is still not a big fan of lunch at school so she takes snacks (he is now going into tenth grade and she into 7th) and eats more when she gets home. My husband takes care of himself either by taking a package of kosher deli or going to a local grocery store and picking up stuff there, near his work.

we each do our own laundry ( I often offer to do dh's but he likes ironing his own shirts)
we can each cook a yom tov or shabbat meal
we can each empty and fill the dishwasher. I like handwashing big things and no one else does, so I do that.
we can each wash normal dishes nicely.

my kids have more life skills than most of the men on this board, from the sounds of it! even the developmentally handicapped kid! LOL

ElTam

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 2:34 pm
I just this summer started letting my girls make their own lunches. Maybe I will see if they will continue doing it once school starts. Thanks for the idea, fellow imamothers!

4ofus

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 2:54 pm
I understand the SAHM's making their DH's lunch but why do you women who work do it as well. Are you working, making meals, taking care of the kids and house while your DH's just work?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 3:10 pm
Banana wrote:
I understand the SAHM's making their DH's lunch but why do you women who work do it as well. Are you working, making meals, taking care of the kids and house while your DH's just work?
I also wondered this. Everyone is running around in the morning? Why should the working mother have to do it all?

curlyhead

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 4:42 pm
You guys are getting me thinking. Maybe I should ask my 2 oldest to make their own lunches (and maybe even the younger kids) after dinner. The mornings are way to busy.

Pamela

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 5:30 pm
I prepare DH's breakfast and lunch every nite before I go to sleep. It takes a couple of minutes, saves $$$$, and I'm happy to know my husband has a healthy wholesome meal.

dr.wigs

Post Fri, Jul 29 2011, 3:19 am
my husband gets lunch in yeshiva. I think that its one of my favorite parts of his kollel.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics