Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Health Food Restaurant

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 11:58 am
What is a good restaurant if you like really healthy stuff?
As in, they must offer brown rice & grilled fish without too much stuff on it. Whole grain baked goods would be nice. Salad dressings made with olive oil. No hydrogenated fat... not too much (or no) sugar or corn syrup...

(I know I was in one Chinese place in Brooklyn that had the option of brown rice. That's a good start.)

There was a recent article in Ami Living, I think, but I can't find it now, where Yitta Mandelbaum Halberstam described some of the history of the macrobiotic movement and her experiences with it, and mentioned a few restaurants, maybe three, that were formerly macro and are now just sort of healthy.

I would love to hear recommendations for Brooklyn and Monsey. We might occasionally get to places like Passaic or Teaneck. I guess anything in the metro area would be of interest in case we happen to get up that way....

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:42 pm
I don't know of any healthy restaurant. It's nice to get brown rice in the Chinese place but if it comes along side MSG-laden food, not much help.

But really if you're not embarrassed to make very specific requests most restaurants can accommodate you by steaming veggies and preparing meats with little or no fats etc. And you don't have to get dressing, you can request oil and vinegar or lemon wedges to dress a salad.

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:54 pm
I guess I'm thinking more a place where you can order miso soup, vegetarian kind of dishes (even if they also serve either milchig or fleishig).

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 12:59 pm
Well, here are some ideas, I would just like to hear from those who have eaten at any of them & how they liked the food, what sort of items do they have? Thanks!

mom2be1

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:04 pm
Back to Nature in Allenhurst, NJ is a great place if you ever come down to the shore.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:07 pm
Natural village cafe on ave I is supposed to be very healthy.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:08 pm
wendy's plate. they used to be a vegan restaurant years ago. they changed to dairy and expanded their menu to include more typical items, but they have retained some of their original dishes. iirc, they serve organic food, brown rice, bean dishes, kelp/other seaweed, and other yummy healthy things.

penguin

Post Thu, Jul 28 2011, 1:52 pm
I'm trying to google Tiliki, can't find who gives the hechsher

Grandmama

Post Sun, Jul 31 2011, 8:28 am
I think that Fujihana on Avenue U is very healthy. They have miso soup, and many dishes made to your specifications, with whatever you want/don't want.
I judge a restaurant by how I feel after I eat.
Their food is fresh and delicious.
Their steamed chicken with veggies is wonderful, as are their soups. I order simple foods with any sauces on the side so I have control. They do have sushi with brown rice, but sadly only offer white rice as their "side dish". Makes no sense to me, but I just don't eat it.

Shang Chai on Ave R and Flatbush Avenue also offers many choices and will make it according to your wishes, with no MSG and no additives. Their food is also delicious.

Another choice is Burgers Bar, where you can have grilled steak or chicken on salad. Dressings are optional. Yummy food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries