Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Medicaid, no hmo. How does it work?

runninglate

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 8:33 pm
I was approved for medicaid, but not put onto an hmo bec I have private insurance. ( through my parents). What exactly does this mean? Can I see a dr? Specifically a dentist or eye dr? Or does this only pay for perscriptions or something like that?

precious

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:12 pm
you can prob see anyone who accepts straight medicaid. but why can't you go to someone who accepts your other insurance?

preempservices

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:12 pm
If the doctor accept medicaid, it will cover - I've found that the ones on staff at major hospitals accept. In addition to prescriptions, many hospitals accept medicaid.

runninglate

Post Tue, Jul 26 2011, 9:16 pm
precious wrote:
you can prob see anyone who accepts straight medicaid. but why can't you go to someone who accepts your other insurance?
bec I dont have dental and vision coverage with it. So I guess my question shld have been does medicaid alone pay for dr visits or only perscriptions? If yes, can anyone recommend a dentist who accepts it?

runninglate

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:54 am
bump. Does anyone know a dentist in bp who accepts medicaid? Flatbush wld also be ok.

bm1234

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 11:33 am
Are you sure that you cannot choose a HMO insurance? I didn't either get automatically put onto one. You haveto call New York Medicaid Choice (don't have the number with me but you can get it from 311 or directory assistance) and request to be put onto a HMO plan. There aren't too many dentists who accept straight medicaid but you can always call Medicaid and they will provide you with names of dentists in your area who accept it. Good Luck

runninglate

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 11:51 am
no, I got a letter from them stating that I will not be placed on the hmo. My dh, who applied at the same time, was placed on hmo automatically.no, I got a letter from them stating that I will not be placed on the hmo. My dh, who applied at the same time, was placed on hmo automatically.

smoms

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 1:34 pm
I think Dr. Canter accepts straight Medicaid. 1607 55th Street 718-972-2970

runninglate

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:23 pm
smoms wrote:
thanks. I will look into it. Have you personally used him?

rydys

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:09 pm
If you have private insurance as well as medicaid, the private insurance is your primary insurance. Medicaid will only kick in as a secondary insurance--it will pick up copays and things that your primary does not cover.

When you go to ANY doctor, be sure to give in BOTH of your cards. Let them know that the private insurance is "primary" and the medicaid is "secondary" (although they should know that already). If you try to use just your medicaid card, the claim will be denied and you may be stuck with the bill.

runninglate

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:15 pm
thanks. Im aware of this. My private insurance does not include dental, which is why it shld be covered by medicaid. Do I still need to submit the claim first to my primary, even though I know they wont cover?

smoms

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:56 pm
runninglate wrote:
smoms wrote:
thanks. I will look into it. Have you personally used him?

Yes - but only for basic dental care, I have good teeth, b"h
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries