Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Forget the tip schedule. What about the trip schedule?!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 5:31 pm
I spend upwards of $1300 per boy, for two of my boys to go to camp. We save for it, and cut costs elsewhere, so that they do not need to just hang out all summer (they're pre-teen age, and we made the determination that it would not be good for them).

They just brought home a note that they have a "Special, Exciting, Fun" trip planned for them, which they can participate in for the cost of $75!! (each).

Huh??!!! I'm paying over $1300 each for camp! One would assume that this price includes all camp-related trips and events. I think that it is absolute chutzpah that now I have to spend extra money ($150) in total, for my sons to be included in a camp trip.

When I called the camp about this, I was basically told that they don't have to go on the trip, and they can still come to camp that day. "Well," I said "Where will the counselors be? In camp or on the trip?" "On the trip," they replied. "Then who will be watching my son in camp?" "We'll place them in a younger bunk for the day."

So basically, not only would my kids be excluded and know that they are missing out on a wonderful day, they would have the added humiliation of being with a younger bunk for a day (would be at least 3 years younger for one son).

We DO NOT have an extra $150 dollars lying around. Like I said, we only managed camp by saving all year for it, and forgoing other things. But I do not want my poor boys to be left out. I am so angry at the camp. Is this typical?

Tova

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 6:02 pm
I have never heard of this and I think it's really wrong. I went to overnight camp for many years and we always went to an amusement park and never did they charge extra in the middle.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 6:48 pm
My ds brought home a note for a 55$ trip, my reaction was spectacularly ridiculous.

SingALong

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 6:53 pm
Dd came home from camp with a note about a trip and to send in $$. All the mothers complained to management, said camp is expensive enough, they shoulld do trips within budget. So management then canceled the trip, but then rescheduled it for no charge.

Ask around, power of numbers may work, or at least a group of boys may stay back with a counselor and do something else fun for cheaper.

Worse case scenario, keep them home and take them somewhere for less $$$, museum, ice cream store, horseback riding...

pickle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 6:59 pm
I think that unless it is known before camp starts that the cost of camp does not include certain major trips, then it is completely wrong to send home a note requesting the money. Had they told you ahead of time that the cost of camp does not include big trips then at that point it is your decision if you want to send your child to that camp. OTOH finding out now puts you into an unfair situation.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:36 pm
I agree. I think it is wrong. wow.
I agree with the posters who suggested you ask around--ask other parents and I'm sure you won't find yourself alone.

But otherwise, is there something extra special you can do with your boys that day instead? Some nice park or museum--that may even be free?

CuteGirl613

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:53 pm
If the contract says the camp fee plus major trips then you can't complain.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
My ds brought home a note for a 55$ trip, my reaction was spectacularly ridiculous.

Ill bet your DS goes to the same camp as my DS Wink

I think its one heck of a Chutzpah as that camp cost upwards of 2000.00 for the summer!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:15 pm
CuteGirl613 wrote:
If the contract says the camp fee plus major trips then you can't complain.

Thats the point. IT DOESNT SAY.

CuteGirl613

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 9:31 pm
If its not in black and white you can complain and they are not allowed to charge you hidden fees.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I think its one heck of a Chutzpah as that camp cost upwards of 2000.00 for the summer!

I think my ds is in this camp too. I can't stand that they do this! Maybe we should all get together and complain.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I think my ds is in this camp too. I can't stand that they do this! Maybe we should all get together and complain.

um...you definitely should!
I think that when my kids grow up, this is for sure something I'll consider/ask about before registering for day camp.

Monsey Mama

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 11:18 pm
My son's camp also does the same thing. I also really resent it. I think it is good idea for the parents to object as a group.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

First amother here, yes, it seems we are all in the same camp.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

First amother here, yes, it seems we are all in the same camp.

Third amother here -

If there were a way that we could get a group all together to complain to the camp.... But I'm such a wimp. I already gave the money in to let my son go.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 12:58 pm
when my kids were in day camp they also went on those major trips that we were charged for, but it was more in the area of $15-20. I think it did really cost more, but the rest was picked up by the camp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics