Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Why do parents NOT tip their kids Counselors??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 5:14 pm
amother wrote:
thank you, ladies Smile

so, a check is OK for that amount (it's definitely easier for me. this past week I didn't mail it in because every time I got the right bills, I had to spend it on something - grrr)? do I write it to Cash?

either or! dont drive yourself nuts!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 5:38 pm
thanks Smile I didn't go to school here, so don't know what's accepted/not accepted and don't want to make a mistake.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
thanks Smile I didn't go to school here, so don't know what's accepted/not accepted and don't want to make a mistake.

Amother, you can never make a mistake by being nice and doing the right thing!

amother

Post Fri, Aug 05 2011, 6:59 pm
How about if your child says he/she is ignored, and insists that the counselor does nothing?
Is tipping mandatory? If yes, it should not be called a tip but a fee.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 06 2011, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
How about if your child says he/she is ignored, and insists that the counselor does nothing?
Is tipping mandatory? If yes, it should not be called a tip but a fee.

Firstly, kids tend to exagerate. alot.
Also, I doubt any counselor does nothing. The older ones, alot of them who are married, work the younger JC's to the bone. They younger ones (who get paid the least) could not possibly get away with it even if they wanted to. They have the main morah hounding them all day!

Marion

Post Sun, Aug 07 2011, 1:17 am
Barbara wrote:
Marion wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread. But I think it's chutzpadik that tips are expected. Being a camp counselor is NOT working in a service industry any more than being a teacher is. You send a small gift at the end of the year for the teacher? Send a small thank you at the end of camp for a counselor. But tips? You've got to be kidding me. (For the record, yes, I worked as a counselor and yes, I was over 18, and NO I did not expect tips. Which was good, because the camp where I worked had a NO TIPPING rule. In fact, we were gathered the night before visiting day and reminded we were not to accept anything from any of the girls - or parents - and that accepting gifts/tips was grounds for dismissal mid-session.)

You worked at a camp where tips weren't allowed. But most camps send home notes indicating that tips are expected. Completely different.

You can think its chutzpadik from now until the cows come home. You can argue that they're not part of the service industry. It doesn't change a thing. The counselors at these camps are paid by tips. Period. If you don't tip, then (I) you have failed to pay an expected part of camp costs; and (ii) the counselor was not paid for taking care of your child.

Luckily where I live such things are not expected. If you want to "expect" tips then charge me more and pay the counsellors properly to begin with. A tip is for a job well done and is at the discretion of the customer, even in the service industry. And you better believe that a waiter who was rude, slow, unhelpful, etc. will not get even an agura for a tip. It's not mandatory, it's a reward.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children