Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who composed the Tefilla of Nishmas?

flippinout

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:00 pm
Some people say it was peter..................

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 5:47 pm
I found this:

It is one of the oldest of our prayers. It is mentioned in the Talmud and various Sages are named as its author. Some say it was the famous sage, R' Shimon ben Shatach, whose name may be found backwards using first letters of certain phrases forming the name Shimon.

flippinout

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:20 pm
Motek wrote:
I found this:

It is one of the oldest of our prayers. It is mentioned in the Talmud and various Sages are named as its author. Some say it was the famous sage, R' Shimon ben Shatach, whose name may be found backwards using first letters of certain phrases forming the name Shimon.

Theres something with R Shimon Ben Shetach and R Yehoshua Ben Perachia (who was Yoshkes rebbe......) Some people say it was the prayer formed by the person (Paul? know as Saul) who was sent to infiltrate the Christian sect to change its laws to differentiate it from Judaism and before he converted he made this powerful prayer ......others say it was Peter Kephas (the first pope knows as Shimon keifa in Jewish tradition) who was an apostate but repented on his death bed and made this prayer......

flippinout

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:22 pm
Quote:
According to a Jewish tradition[13], the Rabbis were very scared of early Christianity and knew that the religion would go on to become successful. In order to save future Jews from both death and definite assimilation, the Rabbis of the time sent a man to infiltrate the Christian communities and change the Christian doctrine to become so distinct from Judaism that it is proselytizing will focus on gentiles and not Jews. He was also to change the Christian doctrine to become favorable to Jews, even outlawing the murder of Jews. This man was named Saul, who later became known as Paul. Paul, who may or may not have been a student of Rabban Gamliel,[14] helped shape the Pauline doctrine that forbade Christians from killing Jews[15] and switched the Christian day of rest from Saturday to Sunday to alienate more Jews as a way of maintaining Judaism without having more Jews succumb to the Christian religion[16]. The first pope, Peter Kephas, is known as Shimon Keifa in Jewish tradition, and he was the author of the liturgical poem Nishmas Kol Chai[17]. Rabbi Yehuda HaChassid of Regensburg (1150-1217) even called[18] Peter a righteous man who had good intentions in his seeming apostasy. Others explain that he was not a secret agent of the Pharisee Rabbis in an attempt to undermine Christianity, but rather he was a total apostate and only repented on his deathbed whereupon he wrote Nishmas.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:34 pm
I could go on AskMoses if you want.....

flippinout

Post Sun, Sep 10 2006, 6:46 pm
thanks sara but I tried that....nothing much there............
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics