Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore- Washington Commute

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 4:51 pm
Does anyone here travel from Baltimore to Washington for work? What is the quickest way to travel?

Tova

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 6:09 pm
Look into the MARC train.
Many people also carpool.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 6:17 pm
thank you! I looked into the marc train and it seems to take about 2 hours, is this an accurrate estimate of time or is there an express train?

Tova

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 7:09 pm
The schedule online should tell you exactly what time it stops at each stop. Very possible, though, that the time on the actual train could be an hour, but from your home 'til your final destination could be two hours. It can be draining on a day to day basis (as can the commute in general be). I've taken the MARC a couple of times for training sessions in the DC area.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 9:35 pm
my brother goes on the marc. I think it takes him about 1.5 hours each way. not too bad if you are used to that kind of commute. also, I think there are some people who drive in to DC early morning (before traffic) and daven in the DC area. it takes about 50 min-1 hour without traffic.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 9:37 pm
this is amother from above-just to clarify- 1.5 hours door to door.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 02 2011, 9:58 pm
Thank you both. Originally, I looked up the Marc schedule from google maps and it seemed to be 2 hrs but on thier website it says one hour. I might be taking a job in DC, I hope the commute is worth it.

abby1776

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 1:39 pm
I commute from the Greenspring Area in Baltimore to Dupont Circle every day. On a good day it takes an hour and 45 minutes and I take Amtrak not MARC. The Amtrak train is more expensive but its 45 minutes instead of an hour. Also, the tracks are owned by AMTRAK and if there is every a problem those trains get priority and get to go first and the MARC has to wait.

I am warning you - it is not an easy commute. There are often delays. My break down is like this - 30 minutes to drive from home to Penn Station in downtown baltimore (if no traffice it takes 20 minutes but you go to leave time) - Get on the Amtrak train - (if running on time and no delays) get into Union Station in Washington DC 45/55 minutes later. Get on the Metro to Dupon Circle - another 15 to 30 minutes depending on how fast a train comes. So the entire thing door to door generally takes about 2 hours.

I would not reccomend it if you have other options.

abby1776

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 8:00 pm
Also the commute is expensive. If you get on at Penn Station you have to find parking which could be $145 to $200 a month. If you take MARC and get on at West Baltimore the parking is free, but you have to get there really early to get a space (and its not the safest area). The parking is free at Halethorpe but that is like a 45 minute drive on 695 in the morning.

The cost of a monthly MARC ticket is $175 and a monthly Amtrack is $375.

hindah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 1:02 am
I have been doing the commute for two years now. Honestly, if I could find a job in Baltimore that was comparable in pay to what I make in DC I would take a job in Baltimore. Aside from the commute being draining, I find it very stressful in the winter when Shabbos comes in early. Before you make a commitment to make the commute daily, I recommend looking at the train schedules for MARC and Amtrak, and seeing what you Fridays will look like when Shabbos comes in around 4:30. Make sure your employer will let you leave at 2 because it is one thing to say I need to leave early on Friday, and another to leave right after lunch. B"H my employer is okay with my schedule, but I had to prove to them that the work would get done.

hindah

Post Sun, Aug 14 2011, 1:02 am
I have been doing the commute for two years now. Honestly, if I could find a job in Baltimore that was comparable in pay to what I make in DC I would take a job in Baltimore. Aside from the commute being draining, I find it very stressful in the winter when Shabbos comes in early. Before you make a commitment to make the commute daily, I recommend looking at the train schedules for MARC and Amtrak, and seeing what you Fridays will look like when Shabbos comes in around 4:30. Make sure your employer will let you leave at 2 because it is one thing to say I need to leave early on Friday, and another to leave right after lunch. B"H my employer is okay with my schedule, but I had to prove to them that the work would get done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating