Home

Playgroup in Kensington Area
1, 2, 3  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report offensive ad

superjew

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011, 10:00 am       Post subject: Playgroup in Kensington Area
Please advise of a good playgroup in kensington or surrounding areas!
Yiddish speaking a plus (not a must) but I'm more modern chassidish as they call it.... Don't know if that makes a difference to the playgroups...
TIA

Factory Girl

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011, 5:45 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
This Is so WEIRD!!!
I was just coming here to post the same POST, looking for a playgroup in Kensignton, except I am NOT looking for yiddish at all, im looking for Engish.

I dont mind playgroups near BP or closer to flatbush, I am just looking for a place to have the enlgish option.
Any help would be great

thanks

Lilkingdom

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011, 5:47 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
I'm in kensington as well. There aren't many playgroups nearby. I sent my daughter to Machanayim playgroup. Theyre located on 47th the block off shoprite. It's yiddish speaking. Director is very chasidish but the crowd is Kensington style. I was very happy there. I'm planning on sending my son there this year. Her name is Gluck.

Factory Girl

Post Posted: Wed, Aug 17 2011, 5:58 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
iis it only yiddish speaking? no english option?,. do u have their number so I can call and ask?

thanks

superjew

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 10:33 am       Post subject: Re: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
Lilkingdom wrote:
I'm in kensington as well. There aren't many playgroups nearby. I sent my daughter to Machanayim playgroup. Theyre located on 47th the block off shoprite. It's yiddish speaking. Director is very chasidish but the crowd is Kensington style. I was very happy there. I'm planning on sending my son there this year. Her name is Gluck.

Yes, # please Smile thnx!

Lilkingdom

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 10:46 am       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
I'll pm her info.

gp2.0

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 11:19 am       Post subject:
OOC what is 'kensington style'? I've always liked the neighborhood and am considering moving there, but was unaware that I would then belong to a certain 'style.' Unless I am already this style? I'd love a description/explanation. Thanks!

Factory Girl

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 1:19 pm       Post subject:
gp2.0 wrote:
OOC what is 'kensington style'? I've always liked the neighborhood and am considering moving there, but was unaware that I would then belong to a certain 'style.' Unless I am already this style? I'd love a description/explanation. Thanks!

Hi,
yeah I dont understand th e"kesington style" either, I dont see a style. I guess since we are located in between bp and flatbush we are in between as well?.
Im just looking for a nice playgroup that wont just talk YIDDISH to my child all day long, she is already exposed to 3 languages (not yiddish) and I really dont want to confuse her MORE.

ughh

voira

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 2:55 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
kensington style in short is a group of frum, yeshivish, Usually on the poorer end, families. It is also a very "bungalow colony'ish" neighborhood.

reportrmom

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 3:51 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
There is Chavie Baum around the corner from the Cheder off of Avenue I, I think on East 2nd Street. I no longer have the number, but I'm sure if you asked around the neighborhood somebody has it. I sent my two oldest ones there some years ago and was very very happy. Licensed, clean, brightly lit, not too big of a group. very very nice. And speaks English.

gold21

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:06 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
kensington has a mix of frum families, and non-frum families. the non-frum are mostly minority groups.

the frum families are, as a whole- very nice; very yeshivish, often with an Out Of Town flavor; very simple; lower-income; and not fashion-forward.

it is not the most beautiful area in brooklyn. most everything is simple and plain.

people are very nice.

it is not a very young area.

a lot of the men in kensington are Rebbes. some are still in Kollel.

bear in mind, it is not a very young area. there are young people of course, but many are my parents' age.

runninglate

Post Posted: Thu, Aug 18 2011, 8:32 pm       Post subject: Re: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
Factory Girl wrote:
This Is so WEIRD!!!
I was just coming here to post the same POST, looking for a playgroup in Kensignton, except I am NOT looking for yiddish at all, im looking for Engish.

I dont mind playgroups near BP or closer to flatbush, I am just looking for a place to have the enlgish option.
Any help would be great

thanks
I dont know if this is too far for you, but theres an english speaking playgroup on fifty sixth st btwn sixteenth and seventeenth ave. The morahs name is chaya carmel. I was there for a bit for work and was very impressed.

Factory Girl

Post Posted: Thu, Sep 01 2011, 11:26 am       Post subject: Re: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
runninglate wrote:
Factory Girl wrote:
This Is so WEIRD!!!

Any help would be great

thanks
I dont know if this is too far for you, but theres an english speaking playgroup on fifty sixth st btwn sixteenth and seventeenth ave. The morahs name is chaya carmel. I was there for a bit for work and was very impressed.

uhhhhhhhi could def check it out, u have her info?
thank u for repling:)

superjew

Post Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011, 3:55 pm       Post subject:
I know its been a while but I want to know if there are any more playgroup options in kensington area. I want warmth & good scheduling with a nice enviroment & clean/nice facility.
Anything?
TIA

happy12

Post Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011, 9:27 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
Kensington style
As someone who has lived in Kensington for 35 years- It is avery mixed crowd -however most people do not try to keep up with the Joneses - A simpler lifestyle- anything goes.

amother

Post Posted: Mon, Oct 31 2011, 11:05 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
theres orna moskovici and faigy on parkville . Theres also leah bakayof on ditmas and E8.. p.s. I live in kensington and hate it

gp2.0

Post Posted: Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:21 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
So I actually am moving to Kensington, b'h. Yay! Hello, new neighbors! Meetup, anyone? Wink

And I'm looking for a playgroup too. I want half day, my DD is 20 months so I'd need a playgroup that caters to 18 months and up. She understands and speaks a mix of Yiddish and English so no problems there. My main concern is that I DON'T want her to be on a 'schedule.' I don't care about arts and crafts or 'educational' lessons if it comes at the expense of 'keeping her on a leash' so to speak. I've heard of playgroups where they force the toddlers to sit for prolonged periods and that does not jive with the way I think a toddler should be spending his or her time. I don't want my DD put in time out because the morah decides that everyone should sit and color and she wants to play with a bike. KWIM? Actually, I don't want her in time out, period because I think she's too young to grasp it.

I've never sent her to playgroup before and while I think she'd love the company (and I want to start a part-time job) she's still a toddler and I don't believe in 'structure' rather I always allow her to set the pace.

I would be interested in a location in kensington, boro park near kensington, or the 15-18 ave range all the way from ocean pkwy to 60th street.

Now am I dreaming or does such a thing exist? Just, quite literally, a small group of kids who play together, lovingly supervised but not interfered with unless necessary.

superjew

Post Posted: Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:27 pm       Post subject:
There are some playgroups like that but I think if you're so extreme then maybe send her to a babysitter? I sent my ds to a great sitter 60 btwn 18-19. She has small group of children, just free play -own schedule etc. She's loving & easygoing.Yet still on top of the kids knowing what they did/eat/nap etc. She also would discipline for biting/hitting etc but not strict. Pm if you're interested.

superjew

Post Posted: Mon, Nov 07 2011, 11:29 pm       Post subject:
Amother who hates kensington First off Sad sorry to hear that. Second, any more details on each playgroup? Thnx!

gp2.0

Post Posted: Wed, Nov 16 2011, 11:38 pm       Post subject: re: Playgroup in Kensington Area
Superjew, did you end up finding a playgroup? I'm still looking. Smile

Anyone know anything about/have any info on Chavi Baum who was posted above?
View previous topic :: View next topic

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next