Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Weird story becomes possible diabetes health concern???

amother

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 9:43 am
We've been having an ant problem lately. One day I came home and found a kid's pair of underwear from the day before and it was swarmed with ants. when I picked it up I saw they had actually eaten several holes in the underwears.
I mentioned this story to someone who happens to be a nurse. She was surprised and said that's how they discovered dogs can develop diabetes - because ants were attracted to the dog urine.
What on earth?? Is she saying my kid could have diabetes? Should I get him checked? I don't think there are any other symtpoms.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 10:18 am
Honestly, what's the worst that can happen? You bring your kid to the doctor, he pees in a cup and he's fine. The best? That you find out he has a disease and he's now treated for it.

It sounds crazy, but I would be stressed out if I didn't at least check it out with a doc. What's the harm?

Imhappy!

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 10:22 am
or at the very least call your doc and ask him/her

Liba

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 10:32 am
I think that getting the child checked out is a good idea. I have never heard of ants being attracted to urine, and we have had plenty of ants. They certainly love sugar.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 11:51 am
I googled this. Seems that this is not an accurate indication. however, according to yahoo you can buy test strips at the pharmacy.

you can also call up your pediatrician and ask.

I have also found that some nurses and PA's and anyone remotely related to the medical field (but are NOT MD's) are sometimes alarmists and LOVE giving medical advice that is off the mark.

SunshineWoman

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 12:32 pm
To test for diabetes is very fast, and it would give you peace of mind.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 19 2011, 12:40 pm
Your dc could have pulled up his shorts with candy-sticky fingers or spilled something sweet on himself that soaked through to his underwear. maybe there were cookie crumbs in there. Unless your kid still wets his pants, why would there be urine on his underwear? Sweat, maybe, but urine?

Instead of stewing, why not just call your dc doctor to ask? That's what she's there for. If she says come in for a test, what Mimisinger said.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics