Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Brown rice

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 5:46 pm
how do you make ur brown rice tasty?

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:23 pm
Add sauteed onions/garlic.

Serve with something saucy and pour sauce over rice.

db815

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 6:32 pm
add sauteed mushrooms, garlic, some onion soup mix, little soy sauce, and drizzle olive oil

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 7:36 pm
yum thanks guys

bubble gum

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 7:45 pm
I'm not the biggest fan of onion soup mix, but this recipe is so yummy and simple. I make it as a side dish during the week usually, but will also make it for shabbos when I'm really rushed or tired.

1 cup brown rice
2.5-3 cups boiling water
1 can mushrooms, drained
2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup onion soup mix

Put everything together in pan and bake covered at 350 until all the water is absorbed.
I like to make it in an oven-to-table dish, but you don't have to.
I also usually make 1.5x the recipe cuz DH really likes rice! (so that would be 1.5 cup rice, about 4 cups boiling water, 1 can mushrooms drained (I dont increase that), 3 Tablespoons oil, and 5 Tablespoons onion soup mix)

menucha

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 7:48 pm
bubble gum wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of onion soup mix, but this recipe is so yummy and simple. I make it as a side dish during the week usually, but will also make it for shabbos when I'm really rushed or tired.

1 cup brown rice
2.5-3 cups boiling water
1 can mushrooms, drained
2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup onion soup mix

Put everything together in pan and bake covered at 350 until all the water is absorbed.
I also usually make 1.5x the recipe cuz DH really likes rice! (so that would be 1.5 cup rice, about 4 cups boiling water, 1 can mushrooms drained (I dont increase that), 3 Tablespoons oil, and 5 Tablespoons onion soup mix)

That does sound good! I want to try it.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 8:39 pm
I cook with garlic powder and add sauted onions to it.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 11:57 pm
I make a tomato chutney that is really good on top of brown rice:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....utney

In KBD Lightens up there's a recipe for brown rice with edamame that is fantastic. I make that recipe again and again.

I also make a fruited brown rice salad with granny smith apple, raisins, & carrots that is good.

(Let me know if those recipes interest you - I can look them up.)

You may also want to experiment with different kinds of brown rice. My favorite is short grain (I think the brand is Ludenberg? It tastes so much better than the boxed quick cooking brown rice). I cook it according to the package instructions, using the amount of oil suggested (I think the oil really makes it taste better), & after it is cooked, I season generously with salt. It's delicious just like that, & even better when you add sauteed onions, or sauteed onions & some sauteed red/yellow/orange peppers.

loveshoes

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 8:08 am
greeneyes wrote:

In KBD Lightens up there's a recipe for brown rice with edamame that is fantastic. I make that recipe again and again.

I also make a fruited brown rice salad with granny smith apple, raisins, & carrots that is good.

You may also want to experiment with different kinds of brown rice. My favorite is short grain (I think the brand is Ludenberg? It tastes so much better than the boxed quick cooking brown rice). I cook it according to the package instructions, using the amount of oil suggested (I think the oil really makes it taste better), & after it is cooked, I season generously with salt. It's delicious just like that, & even better when you add sauteed onions, or sauteed onions & some sauteed red/yellow/orange peppers.

That sounds interesting. Can you post that recipe please?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 8:45 am
Lots of sauteed chopped onions. Sautee sliced mushrooms together if you got some.
Brown rice takes longer to cook--I like to soak it before cooking so that inside cooks as well as outside (that way neither crunchy in the middle or mushy outside). They freeze well, and great for fried rice.

greeneyes

Post Fri, Jun 03 2011, 12:39 pm
loveshoes wrote:
greeneyes wrote:

That sounds interesting. Can you post that recipe please?

2 cups short grain brown rice
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock (I boil water and add MSG free
chicken soup mix)
1 carrot, julienned
1 cup shelled edamame, can be frozen
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 T. sesame oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rice and stock into an 11 by 13
inch baking pan. Stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for
1 1/2 hours.

Remove foil, add carrot, edamame, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir to
combine. Return the pan, uncovered, to the oven and cook for 5
minutes to heat the edamame through.

Can be served warm or at room temp.

May

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:44 pm
I would love the recipe for the fruity rice salad. Thanks!

suzyq

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:28 am
bubble gum wrote:

1 cup brown rice
2.5-3 cups boiling water
1 can mushrooms, drained
2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup onion soup mix

About how long does this take to cook before the water is gone?

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 3:46 pm
May wrote:

3 cups cooked brown rice (I like to use short grain brown rice)
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
3 T. oil
1 c. chopped scallions
2 cups unpeeled apples, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 T. toasted sesame seeds

Combine & chill. This recipe is an unusual combination of ingredients, but it is good!

From the cookbook Simple Pleasures.

loveshoes

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 1:26 pm
greeneyes wrote:
May wrote:

3 T. oil
1 c. chopped scallions
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins

Combine & chill. This recipe is an unusual combination of ingredients, but it is good!

I made this salad for Shabbos and it was AMAZING!!! I was hestitant because of the combination of the ingredients, but it was loved by all - adults and kids!! Thank you for sharing

greeneyes

Post Sun, Aug 21 2011, 10:36 pm
loveshoes wrote:
greeneyes wrote:
May wrote:

3 T. oil
1 c. chopped scallions
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins

I made this salad for Shabbos and it was AMAZING!!! I was hestitant because of the combination of the ingredients, but it was loved by all - adults and kids!! Thank you for sharing

So glad to hear you liked it! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes