Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
20 month old and problems with strep!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 1:24 pm
I have heard that it is uncommon for a child under 3 to have strep. well dd now has it at 20 months.
The problem is that she showed NO symptoms of strep. I happend to get her checked b/c I had strep and recently dh had strep so badly that it sent him to the hospital for 3 days. - he went in to the dr. immediatly when his throat hurt, was on antibiotics just like he should be, and still had complications.

Im wondering if dd and I had strep for a very long time, and only were diagnosed with it recently b/c I decided to get us checked out.
Dh's dr. suggested we get checked even though we didn't feel sick.

Im worried that dd could have complications now (CVS) because she probably had it undiagnosed for so long.

Does anyone have experience like this? Im wondering if we now have to get checked out more often. dh is already on antibotics daily for a year.

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 4:07 pm
my daughter has had strep 3 times this year, she isn't 3 yet. if the child didn't show ANY symptoms then you caught it early.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 5:33 pm
it could be that we caught it early, but its unlikely bc Ive had it for over a week already, and been on meds and not contagious for at least 6 days now.
Im more worried that she is a carrier and maybe doesn't show signs, but others around her are getting it and showing signs.

cranberry

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 6:25 pm
My 18month old has had strep 3 or 4 times (I can't remember embarrassed ) already. The first time he was only 5.5 months old, and the doctor only checked to be sure, but didn't think he had it.

I get kind of paranoid with strep since it can cause so many complications, and I tend to bring him in to get checked more often than necessary. At one point the doctor said he was a carrier, but now he's had a few negative cultures (including just today).

I asked my doctor about how I know when to get him checked, especially since my daughter used to get strep once a month with negatives in between (only once since her tonsils were taken out five months ago Very Happy ) He said still only bring him in when he has symptoms. The problem is his symptoms are usually pretty benign. I also get nervous about missing it.

But so far so good, and I've gotten a bit more relaxed about not bringing him in so quickly.

Talk to your doctor to see what he says.

Refuah Shelaima

bnm

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 6:29 pm
as the pediatrican
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics