Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Ah!! More 2-year-old playgroup decisions

amother

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 6:29 pm
I posted a couple of months ago about playgroup options and I still don't know what's best. The options have changed slightly.

Option A - A playgroup in in its second year. There will be 19 kids and three teachers. It's in someone's basement that's made to look like a pre-school classroom plus there is a small area to play in outside.

Option B- A playgroup in its first year, run by a pre-school teacher with 10+ years of experience. It will be held in the teacher's smallish apartment. There will be 9 kids with the one teacher, plus the teacher's 2 infant children will be there with a babysitter, and the babysitter will assist with the playgroup when the infants are napping.

I really have no clue which one is better.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 6:58 pm
Usually there should be something deep inside you pulling you to the right one. Do you want him more in a house/babysitting setting or more like a classroom setting with small tables n chairs and a bit more learning?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 30 2011, 7:25 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Usually there should be something deep inside you pulling you to the right one. Do you want him more in a house/babysitting setting or more like a classroom setting with small tables n chairs and a bit more learning?

Teachers from both of the groups seem really very competent and I know that they both intend to run a semi-structured program. I had originally decided to send to playgroup A before it got so big and then I started to feel really anxious about it so I called playgroup B to find out the situation, and I'm not sure if it's any better. I don't see how having to infants around in so conducive to anything structured, plus, what happens if one of her babies gets sick? Not to mention that the ratio is almost the same.

All I want is to send my child somewhere where she will be loved to pieces by the morahs, and kept safe and taught to interact appropriately with other kids.

mamommommy

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 5:27 am
This is a tough one. My initial reaction was to send to the smaller one, but I do agree that having two babies around is really not so conducive to running a smooth playgroup. Will they cry for their mother? Is she nursing either one and will have to stop to nurse int he middle? What will happen when/if they are sick? I would try to find out this information.

It seems like the only negative to Option A is that it is a very large group of children, which is a very big drawback. However, Option B seems to have a few smaller negatives (her babies there, smaller/worse facilities), so you need to figure out what adds us to the a more tenable situation for you and your daughter.
I don't envy having to make your decision.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 6:10 am
I vote for Option C. Keep the two year old home and arrange playdates with other mommies. (I have worked in more than one preschool/playgroup, BTW.)

sharebearg

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 12:13 pm
are u in flatbush..if so, im looking for a playgroup if u know of any

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2011, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
I vote for Option C. Keep the two year old home and arrange playdates with other mommies. (I have worked in more than one preschool/playgroup, BTW.)

I like this choice too.
You didn't mention if you work at all--full-time/part-time. And even if you did when you posted a few months ago, please remind us especially because you chose to remain anonymous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics