Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Always Itchy

curlytop

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:01 am
My 4 1/2 son is constantly complaining that he is itchy. I look at his body closely and don't see why. No dry skin or anything. What can be causing this?? It's been a couple of weeks already, and it's driving him nuts!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:32 pm
Most probably he has sensitive skin.

ray379

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:50 pm
Maybe check what his clothes are made from? Maybe if you can stick to all cotton and see how that goes... Keep track of when he complains and what he's wearing (or not wearing).

overthehill

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 2:54 pm
One of my DC will only wear certain fabrics- like shirts have to be from tee shirt material, nice and soft etc...

This kid has very dry skin and also does the itching thing- and there is nothing to see, Sometimes something like lubriderm can help as well

smlev

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:02 pm
I have the exact same problem with my 4.5 year old DS. For us it is dry skin, even though his skin looks ok and not patchy and scally it is a form of eczema. What our doctor told us to do and has been working so far is the following. Only let him take a short bath no playing for extended periods of time, as soon as he is finished, while still wet, lather him up with a good moisturizing cream like eucerin. Use a lot all over the body, be very generous with it, and then put on pajamas. If you do this diligently each night he should feel relief soon. Good luck!

farm

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:32 pm
What works for us: only Dove body wash on his skin in the bath, Vaseline Intensive Repair all over his skin immediately after the bath. B"H working great for over a year with only complaints of itchiness if he wears wool Shabbos pants.

a.r.

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 3:46 pm
Dermotologist's advice to us was, use cetaphil bath wash in bath, for short bath, then use cetaphil body lotion on body- works wonders! also check stuff like laundry soaps and softeners, etc. G'Luck!

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 8:27 pm
a.r. wrote:
Dermotologist's advice to us was, use cetaphil bath wash in bath, for short bath, then use cetaphil body lotion on body- works wonders! also check stuff like laundry soaps and softeners, etc. G'Luck!

Cetaphil cleanser is great, the only soap we ever use, but we stay away from their lotions. They are made with nut oil so unless you know for sure that your kid isn't allergic to nuts, stay away from them.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 8:40 pm
I have the same issue, as do my kids. it actually is dry skin. it looks fine, but it's dry. anyone who doesn't have skin like this wouldn't notice when touching it.

use all natural moisturizing soap or cetaphil. I use baby oil all over while still wet from the bath/shower. it works wonders. actually, I just got some really nice moisturizing lavender soap, and if I use that I don't really need the baby oil every time. I use it on my kids too, and my son has stopped the constant scratching. I never thought I'd be picky about soaps, but I find it's worth it at this point. hooray for itchlessness!

curlytop

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 9:35 pm
Thanks people! I will moisturize him and see if it helps him at all.
He does tend to sit in the bath/shower for a while.. once I convince him to get in there...

Kayza

Post Fri, Sep 02 2011, 5:25 pm
curlytop wrote:
My 4 1/2 son is constantly complaining that he is itchy. I look at his body closely and don't see why. No dry skin or anything. What can be causing this?? It's been a couple of weeks already, and it's driving him nuts!

There are several possibilities. As others have pointed out, he could be reacting to the material of his clothes. He could also be having a reaction to something he is eating, or something environmental, although that tends to be accompanied by hives (which may or may mot be raised). If he has started a new palce recently, or you've made some changes at home, it's worth looking into.

It's also possible his diet is an issue - make sure he is getting enough fat (children that age do need more fats than adults), but of the healthy kinds (eg eggs, avocados, butter and olive oil are good; most margarine and shortening are bad). Also, look at his overall nutritional intake - if you think he might be low in things like Vitamins e or B complex, and children's supplement might be a good idea.

At one point, with one of my kids, the pediatrician advised me to give her cod-liver oil, which addresses most of those concerns...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics